When was The Oakes, Bradfield built?

glaham

Hunter's Hallamshire says that the Morewood family lived in the Oakes at Bradfield continuously from 1432 to the early 19th century. But when was the Oakes built? Where did they live before that house was built? Does the Oakes still exists in any shape or form?

Try Malcolm Nunn the Archivist at the Bradfield council office.

I'm sure he will give you verse and chapter about the place.

I don't know the telephone number as I am in New Zealand but the number will be in the book.

He is available at the council offices every Thursday for public enquiries concerning the history of the Bradfield area.

If he doesn't know then nobody will know.

Hope this helps you.

• 3 months later...

I'm a Morewood. I visited the original Oakes a couple of years ago with a friend and her husband,also family related. The old Oakes has been rebuilt and is now a private residence. It was going to be demolished. We have extensive family research although the archives obviously will have some bits and pieces we haven't got yet..

• 2 weeks later...

According to David Hey in 'Historic Hallamshire', the Moorwoods rose from relatively humble beginnings in the 13th century to gentry status 400 years later. Their name derives from a farmhouse west of Stannington and south of Dungworth, overlooking Rivelin Chase. Thomas de Morewood was a witness to a Sheffield deed dated before 1270and in 1295 Andrew and Thomas de Morewood were witnesses to a deed at Ughill. In 1316 Jordan and Robert del Morwode were witnesses at Moorwood and in 1340 John del Morewode was a witness at Ughill. The Moorwoods were not rich enough to be taxed for the 1297 lay subsidy, but during the 14th century their fortunes improved considerably. In 1379 John de Morewod , marshal, paid a shilling, one of the highest rates in the chapelry of Bradfield, and Agnes de Morewod, William de Morewod and John de Morewod (parish of Ecclesfield) each paid the basic rate of fourpence. A marshal was a man who tended horses, a combination of farrier and an early vet. William de Morwod was described in 1383 and 1406 as 'of Westmondhalgh' and in 1416 as 'of Fayrhurst'. He held land in Dwarriden and Wigtwizzle and in 1411 a John de Moorwood held land in Holdworth Bank. Further descent is not clear but the family appear at the Oaks on the manor court rolls of 1440-41

• 2 years later...

Hi Agrimajor,

I'm a relative of the original poster ( Glaham) I don't know if he checks this forum now so will let him know you have posted.

Perhaps I have had contact with you before? I have been involved in Morewood research for about four years.

• 2 months later...

Hi Vulcaneer,

Hope you don't mind my asking but which of Nathaniel's children do you descend from? I'm distantly related to you, I'm descended from Godfrey Morewood, brother of Nathaniel's grandfather Henry Morewood but am also connected to later generations of Nathaniel's branch through another side of my family.

Perhaps we can exchange information?

• 2 years later...

I have been living at the Oakes Bradfield for about 12 years and have accumulated quite a lot of info. re: Morewoods and other subsequent residents - happy to share details if anyone interested...

Am now trying desperately trying to find out more about Robert Newton (c.1760) and Robert Newton Shaw (the aforementioned's nephew I think) Want to know who lived at the Oakes as Newton's tennants - and beyond - have got info from 1841 to present day but more info would be welcomed...

Archived