Oversized beer glasses

Myster E

Lat week in a Sheffield pub, I was served a pint of Guinness and quite rightly asked the bar person to top up the pint (before I had taken a drink of it). She said that it wasn't necessary as it was in an oversized glass. I was very pleased. Found out later that night that only beer from a metered pump can be served in oversized glasses and Guinness can never be served properly from a metered pump.

If it had been a pint of frothy gassy lager substitute then I wouldn't have bothered but when I'm paying money for what should be a quality drink, I'm not happy. I suppose it's more because I was taken for a mug than the money.

Lat week in a Sheffield pub, I was served a pint of Guinness and quite rightly asked the bar person to top up the pint (before I had taken a drink of it). She said that it wasn't necessary as it was in an oversized glass. I was very pleased. Found out later that night that only beer from a metered pump can be served in oversized glasses and Guinness can never be served properly from a metered pump.

If it had been a pint of frothy gassy lager substitute then I wouldn't have bothered but when I'm paying money for what should be a quality drink, I'm not happy. I suppose it's more because I was taken for a mug than the money.

A Guinness in a pint glass wouldn’t work its got to be "over sized", they normally let it settle and then fill it to the top, oversized doest come into it.

Technically it could come from a metered pump but you wouldnt be able to stop at 2/3 and then top up as Guiness suggest. I have never seen an oversized Guinness glass. As far as I am aware they only supply regular branded glasses to pubs. Guinness is meant to be served with approx 1/2 inch of head anyway, Guinness come and actually measure the head and check the dispense temperature at my pub about every 3 months.

As for the head being too large on certain drinks, it personally has never bothered me for the sake of 30 ml of beer or anything else I really dont care. We top up if asked, but generally serve everything with 'some' head.

Found out later that night that only beer from a metered pump can be served in oversized glasses and Guinness can never be served properly from a metered pump.

Plenty of pubs use over-sized glasses (with a pint-mark on them) that are not served from metered pumps. Kelham Island for one pulls all their hand-pulled into them - CAMRA generally encourage this.

I obviously didn't get my point across correctly in the initial post. My point was that the bar person refused to top up my pint stating that it was an oversized glass. Lies, all lies.This pint was well under. Thie glass was definitely not oversize, no 'Pint to Line' mark on the glass. Guinness used to be served in oversize glasses some years ago but not now. I do actually still have a couple of these glasses at home and they hold a full pint of Guinness and have a full head on too.

What Baffles me as a Regular Guinness Drinker is that you go to some Pubs nowand you see them pour it out all in one go and you think hang on that won't settle properly and then it does perfectly?

But in other pubs they have to do it the "old fashioned" way, and I've yet to visit one where someone poured me a perfect 1/2 inch on the first go. Without either me having to wait a minute for it to settle, and then going back to get it topped up!, or by them "cheating" by just pouring a bit of the froath away when it nears the top and making a sticky mess of my glass.

Any one know a place that can do it to 1/2 inch without the aid some special filter pump or the sticky glass method?

I think several pubs take the mikey in this area as I see them putting lots of head on larger and even leaving a bit of a gap on top of that in a pint glass.

If you do that for every pint you serve then the savings for the pub soon mount up.

The ex-licensee of one of the City centre pubs toild me once that they are told by the pub owners to put as much of a head on beer as possible without it being too obvious. The belief is that most people will accept it without asking it to be topped up, but they must top up the beer if asked by the customer. I'm told that this practice can and does save a goodly amount of money.

I think several pubs take the mikey in this area as I see them putting lots of head on larger and even leaving a bit of a gap on top of that in a pint glass.

If you do that for every pint you serve then the savings for the pub soon mount up.

I am sure that based on the quantity you consume in a sitting that will make little difference lol

Archived