Oversized beer glasses

Myster E

I obviously didn't get my point across correctly in the initial post. My point was that the bar person refused to top up my pint stating that it was an oversized glass. Lies, all lies.This pint was well under. Thie glass was definitely not oversize, no 'Pint to Line' mark on the glass. Guinness used to be served in oversize glasses some years ago but not now. I do actually still have a couple of these glasses at home and they hold a full pint of Guinness and have a full head on too.

Not all oversize glasses have a 'line to pint' mark, or even a Queen's stamp. You only have to go into a WMC to see that.

Guinness is regularly served in brim measured glasses when on 'free flow'. See how many oversized glasses are used in the Dog and Partridge or Fagan's to prove it.

Guinness tastes terrible when on metered dispense for some reason (always watery), but unless it's on free flow, it 'can't' be topped up. The law is that a pint is 'actually' 95% of a pint.

The ex-licensee of one of the City centre pubs toild me once that they are told by the pub owners to put as much of a head on beer as possible without it being too obvious. The belief is that most people will accept it without asking it to be topped up, but they must top up the beer if asked by the customer. I'm told that this practice can and does save a goodly amount of money.

You only have to look at the pathetic 'pints' of cider (which never has a head) to see that. I've taken my beer/cider back to the bar in some establishments when in a round, saying that 'I wanted a pint, not a half', many a time.

What Baffles me as a Regular Guinness Drinker is that you go to some Pubs nowand you see them pour it out all in one go and you think hang on that won't settle properly and then it does perfectly?

But in other pubs they have to do it the "old fashioned" way, and I've yet to visit one where someone poured me a perfect 1/2 inch on the first go. Without either me having to wait a minute for it to settle, and then going back to get it topped up!, or by them "cheating" by just pouring a bit of the froath away when it nears the top and making a sticky mess of my glass.

Any one know a place that can do it to 1/2 inch without the aid some special filter pump or the sticky glass method?

Dog & Partridge, Trippet Lane. Topped up the traditional Irish way if needs be; by you taking a drink first, and then added to from a fresh glass.

So long as you don't take half of your drink first :hihi:

Archived