Does anyone remember bear pit still in botanical gardens.

I remember visiting the bear pit many times as a child in the late 60's & 70's it always gave me the creeps though it has a very sad feeling about the place. I am sure the bears must have been very unhappy there so its not really surprising its a sad place.

I also remember the pavilions had fish, plants and there were also some birds I remember two parrots that used to shout various words out to passers by (not rude).

It was a very nice place to visit in those days. I am sure it is lovely again now but I havn't had much time to visit.

25 shillings is not 10p. 25 shillings was £1.1/0 one pound one shilling or a guinea (£1.05 in new money)

-----------------------------

hi ya, caught me out then, well i was very bad with my sums.

and my partner does`nt allow me to handle the money.

anyway, lets brighten up the day, so here`s a little joke .

a woman woke her husband in the night and told him

``there`s a burglar in the kitchen and he is eating the cake

my mother made for us,

the husband said who shall we call,

the police or an ambulance?

have a laugh day.

We visited the bear pit fairly recently

Some other visitors were amused by the small dog taking on the large bear in the pit

A small beagle could be seen barking his head off at the statue of a bear currently installed in the pit, only stopping to sneak up on the poor creature for a sniff to see what it was made off, then dashing back away for another shouting match :hihi:

Beagles aren't much cop at fighting bears :D

So do I. Pre-war and wartime, Botanical Gardens were only a stonesthrow away from my home. Few people made use of it, but I found it the place to be when I wanted to think deeply about my future home life. Should I remain where I was and hope for the best, or should I leave, disappear never to return?

Some other visitors were amused by the small dog taking on the large bear in the pit

A small beagle could be seen barking his head off at the statue of a bear currently installed in the pit, only stopping to sneak up on the poor creature for a sniff to see what it was made off, then dashing back away for another shouting match :hihi:

What and 'no' photos Srix!

eee I don't know :rolleyes:

Have a look at a couple of mine.

Bear Pit 01

Bear Pit 02

m&p ;)

--------------------------------

WHEN YOU SAID THE DOG WAS SNIFFING, I THOUGHT YOU WAS ABOUT

TO SAY HE COCKED ITS LEG UP ON THE BEAR,

IN THE MIDDLE 40S WE USE TO SEE THE GARDNER PUT THE GRASS

CUTTINGS IN THAT BEAR PIT. THEY STORED IT FOR COMPOSS

THEN SCATTERD OVER THE GARDENS,( GOOD STUFF )

Archived