Phoenix at Ridgeway

Worth a mention !

Went to the Phoenix on Friday evening for a meal. Really busy ! Very courteous and helpful staff. Only had to wait 30 mins for meals arriving ( 7 of us )

Pity the weather wasn't ideal for sitting out on the verandah at the rear and enjoying that lovely view. Very extensive menu.

Give it a try !

Not eaten there myself. Preferred how it was years ago when it was a 2 room local serving Ward's real ales, with stone flags on the floor and local blokes playing dominoes and smoking.

Phoenix was the first "no smoking" pub in the whole of the Sheffield area if I'm not mistaken? They were pioneers at the time but I bet they never thought the rest of the country would follow them.

T'Was a long time ago.It all mushes into a blur

worked at the sportsman Norton Lees and Rutland Arms

in town about same time.

I was the stocky lad about 18.

He had a daughter called paula who worked

behind the bar to I think

• 4 weeks later...

Used to go to The Phoenix most saturdays with a few friends for lunch. Never had a bad meal there and was always a very nice place to go when the weather was nice. Not been for a while though so could have changed, good pubs that do decent food seem to be getting less and less.

Archived