Blocked ears, now perforated, how long to heal?

Although I can see your point it does seem a little extreme to go to A&E and since they can't really do anything in the short term I don't think I'd be popular :(

I've been reading that it could take up to a month to heal but then dire warnings that they might need surgery.

It's driving me mad. All my work relates to communication. I can only do the work which has other staff around, I cannot do any solo work as I just can't hear enough and I'm losing much of my earnings.

• 5 years later...

For Ear-ache or wax build up I have used both of these, since childhood, effectively and with no side effects;

one or two drops of equal parts white vinegar and rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol good for swimmers ear too (the outer ear infection)

Warmed NOT HOT olive, baby or massage oil. Couple of drops and then plug your ear with cotton wool. Sleep (bad ear down obviously) on a warm hot water bottle.

Just cotton wool in for about a day can be really effective, it traps your own body heat and is often suffice to gently warm the wax and obviously the cotton wool stops it running down your neck.

I know its an old saying but does not stop it being as true today.

If you are tempted to get at the wax in your ear with a Q-tip or something then just remember that you should never put anything in your ear that is smaller than your own elbow.

What ever you decide to do, I really can empathise and, I wish you well.

Archived