Penistone road no 371 in 1901

jan2002

Rawson St is457 the next St is Bamford St at 537 so aprox half way between 495.THOMAS EDWARD ALSOP coal dealer in 1927. Cottam or Brough St would be on the opposite side.
Don't suppose u know of any pics of the area or when it was demolished do u?

Don't suppose u know of any pics of the area or when it was demolished do u?

495 still there in the 1972 Kellys a mr Kimber lived in the house pos demolished in the late 1970,s, there are pictures of Penistone Rd on PICTURE SHEFFIELD but nothing close to this address.

In the 1925 directory, Nos 491 to 509 are all businesses, with "Thomas Edward Allsop, coal dealer" at No 495. Next door at No 493 was Herbert Taylor, a pikelet baker, and on the other side was Mrs Lily Lodge, "fent dealer" (that is, a dealer in cloth remnants).

In the 1925 directory, Nos 491 to 509 are all businesses, with "Thomas Edward Allsop, coal dealer" at No 495. Next door at No 493 was Herbert Taylor, a pikelet baker, and on the other side was Mrs Lily Lodge, "fent dealer" (that is, a dealer in cloth remnants).

1935 our shop#511 sold food goodies like hot meat &pot pies etc 509 was the lady hair salon around 503-5 was the cobbler this i remember well ,inside the window was a mechanical cobbler hammering nails ,what "works" it my brother asked "Carter's casterets"(that spell not right) i reply, out of the mouth of babes i was the family joke for years & for the ones who don't what Carters is its a strong laxative mothers use to dose their kids with &boy did it ever "work":hihi::hihi:

The "fast food outlet" at No 511 was evidently an enterprise dating from after 1925, as "George Hy. Newbert, boiler firer" lived at 511 at that time. The other 1935 businesses had also evidently changed in the past decade - at 509, for example, was "Sydney Swindin, shopkeeper".

Carter's casterets are a new one on me, though I do remember "Carters little liver pills". But as for things to make you "go", my grandma gave all her offspring a dose of "brimstone & treacle" every Friday night. My dad used to swear by the mixture - as he used to say "one ounce will make you sh*t one ton". But it tasted awful..:gag:

I must have very weird taste i sort of liked brimstone & treacle,at511 my mother would cook all night in the little yorkshire oven and when the workers came home the wife's would meet them with their dish's, pie & gravy in hand would walk home for mid-day or night time meal of course at 5-6 yrs old the pie seemed BIG ,at that time two spinster ladys ran the salon at 509 the name Vera's keeps coming to mind,but 68yrs is a long time to think back :help::help:

Archived