Porter brook (eccy rd)

Here's a sketch with two views of the top of Frog Walk - not exactly as I remember it, the date is 1893 :D but the name plate on the wall seems familiar. probably nicked to decorate some student's bedroom wall years ago.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s11405

Dug out Mary Walton's book on Sharrow and she says Toad Walk should be T'owd Walk - a Sheffieldism for 'The Old Walk'. Perhaps there are two names for the same path ?

Sorry I can't help with the path on the other side of the Brook - I've no recollection of it.

That's how I remember them, but you know what memory can do.;)

Just found this on via Google...

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2005/09/323823.html

the top photo looks like the Sharrowhead entrance in spite of the caption !

To me those are photos of Toad Walk.

I didn't know it had such a high crime rate, though it is the ideal place for nastiness and I remember it was haunted by a flasher, but as a child I frequently played down there alone and with others and never saw a thing.:suspect:

I have heard tales that there was a "ghost" on the path from sharrow head to ecclesall (whatever you want to call it :) ) but alas yes there is an element of crime there, mostly flashers from what i hear.

Those pictures are again an amazing insite into our past, when you consider that at the top of the path at sharrowhead there still stands one of the oldest structures in sheffield it really makes one think!

I've consulted the map and there is a path outlined but only initialed as "F.P." which leads to the clearly labeled "Frogs Walk" (sharrowhead to Stalkers lees rd/cemetry entrance) could this be "Frogs pass" maybe? This no poses the question where did the toad come from and when? ha ha ha!

'FP' on a map usually stands for 'foot path'

Those pictures are again an amazing insite into our past, when you consider that at the top of the path at sharrowhead there still stands one of the oldest structures in sheffield it really makes one think!

Ecclesall road wasn't built until 1811 - the paths from Sharrow vale and Sharrow Head may have been ancient shortcuts down to the Stalker Wheel and possibly into town via Broom Hall. There was a very old carriageway from Broom Hall into town.

I have heard tales that there was a "ghost" on the path from sharrow head to ecclesall (whatever you want to call it :) ) but alas yes there is an element of crime there, mostly flashers from what i hear.

There were legends that "Spring-Heeled Jack" was sighted there, and also in the vicinity of Norfolk Park.

Archived