The Bradway Hotel

exhausted - I note that the Hadfield doesn't open till 4 in the afternoon.

Is it just a coincidence that you have reduced your hours now that Herbert Fairey And Son have moved away?!!

I joke, of course, but I do miss your boozer (if nothing else since relocating)!!

that place has opened and closed more times than a flycatcher plant.

I noticed the other day it was having another rebirth. Good luck, I hope it succeeds. Sounds like they haven't got the staffing right though and that can be a make or break factor.

I used to always think of Bradway as a posh place to live, maybe it had something to do with the S17 postcode. I drive through fairly regularly and there seems to be a regular gathering of young knuckleheads in hoodies hanging around the place. The other day some of them were walking down the middle of the road, kicking a football at oncoming cars - delightful!

If this underclass begin to frequent the Bradway pub, once they finish passing through puberty, it will be all the worse for it.

The whole area of Bradway is a nice place: only that bit where the Bradway pub is like that - namely the petrol st and the pub!! This due to the large majority of scummy youths who come off the nearby council estates. If you drive further up Bradway road, the houses are beautiful and there are no 'hoodies' whatsoever, even the lads outside the spar (you see once in a blue moon) are posh boys!

Don't tarr the area of Bradway just because you've seen hoodies at the garage/pub!! That would be very stupid of you indeed!

Personally, I have never been in the Bradway pub - from the outside I think you get an idea of what the people inside will be like.

I drive through Bradway fairly regularly and I must say I nearly always see groups of teenagers hanging around near the Bradway pub/Murco petrol station or on the corner near the Spar shop.

this has always been the case - "hoodies" as you refer to, are usually from lowedges which is just down the road.

when you say you drive through bradway, which area do you actually mean?

my parents live in bradway (borderline to totley) and I was brought up there and I have to say there are absolutely no hoodies hanging around in 'proper' bradway.:hihi:

Exhausted, you've told us your sorry story before on another thread (yawn). I understand this was traumatic for you, but it doesn't really put me off. I believe in supporting local businesses that are making an effort and allowing them the odd mistake. If I was local to your boozer I'd probably support you unless you were a real 4rse.

Dippy Dore, you're truly living up to the first part of your name. Bradway *begins* at the Murco garage. So of course at that end you are going to get bleed over from Greenhill and Lowedges which it borders. But not much. I spent a year driving from the Derbyshire end of Bradway, and down that road every day, seven days a week. It's not as big an issue as you're making out. I've been told that when the old Bradway pub used to cater for the dodgy sort (see R_kid message above) it used to attract the Lowedges "massive" but now it doesn't.

And as for Bradway proper there are no kids hanging around - it's very residential, for starters (no shops as a focal point) and it just ain't that kind of place. In Greenhill - yes, in Lowedges - hell yes, and at the Bradway border a few but no different to the Beauchief / Greenhill border, Nether Edge / Sharrow border , Notting Hill / Kensal rise border (I'm a Londoner, please forgive..)

The Bradway has been bought: there's new management, new staff, new clientele. I went in once when the old regime was in place and like you, I'd have rather had sipped my own urine rather than had a beer in there agin. But it's new and different. That's what this thread's about. Things change. Be open minded.

... and breathe....

Oh, I see. Thanks for telling me where Bradway really is - I'd never have known. As for your claim that there is no problem with kids hanging around, I suggest you pop in to the Murco garage, next to the Bradway pub, and look at the piece of paper they have on the counter.

I was in there recently and they have got up a petition to stop the unruly riff-raff from spoiling the place.

Or maybe I imagined it?

this has always been the case - "hoodies" as you refer to, are usually from lowedges which is just down the road.

when you say you drive through bradway, which area do you actually mean?

my parents live in bradway (borderline to totley) and I was brought up there and I have to say there are absolutely no hoodies hanging around in 'proper' bradway.:hihi:

Great! But we were talking about the Bradway pub were we not? And that's bang smack in the area that I'm talking about, where the hoodies hang out.

I don't doubt that there are some parts of Bradway that are nice and it sounds like you are near enough to Totley to be in one.

Like it or not, once a part of your "village" starts to get a reputation for scumbags roaming the streets, it affects the whole of the area, even though, I'm sure, that's unfair.

Great! But we were talking about the Bradway pub were we not? And that's bang smack in the area that I'm talking about, where the hoodies hang out.

I don't doubt that there are some parts of Bradway that are nice and it sounds like you are near enough to Totley to be in one.

Like it or not, once a part of your "village" starts to get a reputation for scumbags roaming the streets, it affects the whole of the area, even though, I'm sure, that's unfair.

Again, see my posts - you do not know what you are talking about, please refrain from having such stupidity to post opinions like this on this forum!!!!!!!! I am embarrassed for you!

Oh, I see. Thanks for telling me where Bradway really is - I'd never have known.

Clearly you have issues with your geography which that feeble attempt at sarcasm does little to disguise. I echo the views of BoutiqueChoc. People like you are truly worrying. Let me explain (and I hope the brain cell(s) is/are fired up):

You have just annoyed everyone who lives/has lived in Bradway by bad-mouthing an entire district based on your experience of a single petrol station. And what's worse (and this is the geography bit so pay attention) the said petrol station is right on very the edge of the area you're knocking (I think the border of S8/S17 is just a few feet from the petrol station). Furthermore, everyone knows that Lowedges has a bit of a youth problem, and that station may be considered more Lowedges than Bradway.

Honestly, it's absolutely fine to have ill-informed opinions but don't go shouting them as fact on public forums. You're very likely to get flamed.

Clearly you have issues with your geography which that feeble attempt at sarcasm does little to disguise. I echo the views of BoutiqueChoc. People like you are truly worrying. Let me explain (and I hope the brain cell(s) is/are fired up):

You have just annoyed everyone who lives/has lived in Bradway by bad-mouthing an entire district based on your experience of a single petrol station. And what's worse (and this is the geography bit so pay attention) the said petrol station is right on very the edge of the area you're knocking (I think the border of S8/S17 is just a few feet from the petrol station). Furthermore, everyone knows that Lowedges has a bit of a youth problem, and that station may be considered more Lowedges than Bradway.

Honestly, it's absolutely fine to have ill-informed opinions but don't go shouting them as fact on public forums. You're very likely to get flamed.

My dear friends, e-mangroovin and boutiquechoc, I think what you mean to say is, it is fine to have opinions so long as they don't clash with ours and hurt our feelings.

I am at liberty to voice my opinion on here every bit as much as you are. So please don't try telling me what to post and what not to post.

If you care to read my post again you will see that I am agreeing with you that the problem I refer to is in a specific area of Bradway, around the Bradway pub, that the problem may be caused by scumbags not from Bradway, and that no doubt there are parts of Bradway which are not affected. I'm making the further point though that once an "area" gets a bad name, the whole of that area becomes tarnished with it, not just one street or outer fringe of the place.

I don't think that's too controversial is it?

Archived