Chestnut man in pond street

sharkw

I Remember the chestnut men at the top of Snig Hill outside Harralls shop and in Pond Street at the top of the steps where the big city centre map used to be in a massive glass case. It had an index where you could press a button for the city landmarks like the town hall or the fish market ect. The chestnut men always had filthy hands like coalmen but it never stopped me eating them they smelt and the tasted lovelly in the winter weather. Happy Days!!!

i remember the hot chestnut man who stood by the city street guide i would go down pond hill waiting fo the smell to come wafting ut to meet me sometimes there was a queue and it was nice to stand near the hot ove to keep warm cant remember what they cost i know you never got many maybae half a dozen but they tasted so good and hot

Chestnut Man In Pond Street

I also remember the chestnut (chessnut) man from the 60's. It was nice to get a warm standing next to his cart, but you froze even more when you stepped away or so it seemed. As the O.P. said, there was certainly a few 'bad uns' in the bag. Was the Penny Black pub there in the 60's? I'd be surprised.

Whilst I'm at it......

Does anyone remember that 'You are here' metal board thing that had a map or the city centre inside the frame? I used to love pressing them buttons and watching the light bulbs coming to life. It was near to the really worn down steps that led from Pond Street to Flat Street.

There was also the thrupenny bit shaped news shop nearby, and the blind man outside selling The Star, Telegraph (?) and on Saturdays the Green 'Un. The palms of his hands were a black as coal from handling the newspapers and the coinage. I wonder where he lived.

I also recall a snack bar (cafe) in the bus station on the platform behind the shop that only sold tea and toast. It was a big favourite with the bus drivers, conductors, conductresses and maybe the inspectors, and me.

I Remember the chestnut men at the top of Snig Hill outside Harralls shop and in Pond Street at the top of the steps where the big city centre map used to be in a massive glass case. It had an index where you could press a button for the city landmarks like the town hall or the fish market ect. The chestnut men always had filthy hands like coalmen but it never stopped me eating them they smelt and the tasted lovelly in the winter weather. Happy Days!!!

I don't remember one being at the top of Snig Hill but I do remember the one at the bottom on the corner overlooking Bridge Street bus terminal.

I was small as a kid, still am but this old guy was not very tall and wore a cap and a brown smock as I remember

Archived