New Sheffield Brewery Opening!

We are a cask conditioned beer brewery.

I don't know enough about manufacturing in a gluten free way and would imagine the legal hoops to jump through would be many, and to be honest i need to stick to what i know for the start up!

Lager production is a totally different kettle of fish, which requires a lot of investment in equipment to filter to and carbonate as well as a longer period 'lagering' (maturing).

It's not something i would consider brewing. As i say we brew cask conditioned beers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you all know, the brewery was delivered yesterday and will be installled and commisioned early next week. The malt delivery came yesterday as well and is currently filling the malt store and brewhouse with that beautiful malty aroma! Yum.

The first brew will be next week and is called Abyss. ( http://www.thebrewcompany.co.uk/beers.php?id=3 ) This is a dark malty beer, russett brown in colour and packed full of flavour.

We will also be brewing our pale ale and a bitter next week.

Don't forget to look out for our pump clips on the bar in mid July!

Our website will be updated with pubs stocking our beer soon.

Forgive my ignorance but is this area particularly good for brewing? If so why. Sheffield does seem to have quite a well established tradition for brewing i've often wondered why.

Also are any of your ingredients local such as the malt?

The water is local....

Most of the brewers in our area get their Malt from a Maltster in Castleford I believe, Hops come from all over - Southern England, Europe and America.

I'm sure BlackSheep will answer in due course..

As for Sheffield's brewing tradition, we used to have a number of large breweries (on an industrial scale) such as Stones, Wards and Whitbread but they are all gone now (although the Stone Brewery building is still there at Neepsend), however what we do have now is a number of successfull microbreweries, that are encouraged by Sheffield's very good real ale pub scene.

But does the water have special qualities that make it good for brewing?

My chemistry teacher used to tell me that hard water was best for brewing and in some areas water is often deliberately hardened with gypsum in the process of Burtonisation.

I'm not sure how hard Sheffield water is compared to anywhere else

My chemistry teacher used to tell me that hard water was best for brewing and in some areas water is often deliberately hardened with gypsum in the process of Burtonisation.

I'm not sure how hard Sheffield water is compared to anywhere else

So are we saying then that breweries tend to scattered around hard water areas?

Forgive my curiosity but i genuinely don't know

So are we saying then that breweries tend to scattered around hard water areas?

Forgive my curiosity but i genuinely don't know

Well they are scattered all over the country but the water, its hardness and other qualities, will make a difference to the final product.

I'd think that if you brewed 2 identical pints of beer in Manchester and Sheffield with the same hops, same barley, same recipe but with the different water then the final product will be different.

I'm only surmising though, I'm more an expert on drinking it than making it :)

Nice debate! Andy C is correct when he says that malt comes from Thomas Fawcetts in Castleford - they are the nearest maltster and one of the best in the country.

All my hops are from the UK, generally grown in Kent.

There aren't many brewers who don't treat the water prior to brewing. We have to have the correct PH to start with so most breweries use water treatments, which are all natural, calcium salts. This process has been refered to as Burtonising water simply because Burton is said to have water which needs no treatment.

Taxman is right to say a beer made in a different location to the same recipe will be different. The characteristics of beer come from many things. Recipe interpretation, raw ingredients, different suppliers, water, brewer experience, yeast strains, even the size of brewing vessells and shape of fermenters can affect taste! Of course it is all down to the publican to look after the ale and serve it correctly so you the drinker gets a good pint as the brewer intended. This is why cask conditioned beer (real ale) is so varried in colour, flavour and aroma. 600 small brewers nationally producing dozens of styles, with thousands of variations. You never quite know what your going to get when you drink traditional ales. I love the whole process from making it to drinking it!!

Archived