Cravens, Staniforth Road?

Everybody knows how these memories come floating in the mind when they're not expecting anything. Cravens, that's what I remembered today. Cravens, were they a big engineering concern up Staniforth Road? I had a mate who went there as an apprentice on leaving school, but he went as a coachpainter or something like that. But my missus says they were an engineering firm.

Everybody knows how these memories come floating in the mind when they're not expecting anything. Cravens, that's what I remembered today. Cravens, were they a big engineering concern up Staniforth Road? I had a mate who went there as an apprentice on leaving school, but he went as a coachpainter or something like that. But my missus says they were an engineering firm.

Hi Texas, I was born and brought up not too far from Cravens, I came down to London to work in 1978 and on my first day I travelled on the underground, Central Line, and there on the carriage floor was the name plate Cravens - Sheffield, it brought a lump to my throat.They are no longer in service I think they last run about ten years ago.Thanks for reviving this memory.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I think exmrbd is right, they did do railway coaches, all those intricate lines and stuff.

As Enfield said you can still see today stuff that is made by Cravens.

Heres a bit from the London Underground Page

" The Metropolitan line runs from Aldgate to Amersham, with branches to Chesham, Uxbridge and Watford covering 66.7 km (41.5 miles).

It serves 34 stations and requires 44 trains to operate the peak period service. King's Cross with an annual passenger count of 87 million is the line's busiest station.

Metropolitan line trains are known as A stock. They were manufactured by Cravens of Sheffield in two batches between 1960 and 1962 and run as eight-car trains made up of two units each consisting of four cars permanently coupled together. "

There is also a link below about the DMU's ( Diesel Multiple Unit ) they built

http://www.leytransport.i12.com/craven.htm

Yep, I lived in Amersham until recently and would see the "Cravens, Sheffield" plate every morning when getting on the Met line for work. My Grandad worked there for years, so very nice to see.

• 1 year later...