Cravens, Staniforth Road?

They also made HGV trailers and containers as well as the plastic moulding machines I have taken the plastic machines all over Europe for them this was in the 60s and 70s. There was several local firms who delivered the containers to the ports such as BRS, Trowbridge,Mills and Prestons to name some of them.

As Enfield said you can still see today stuff that is made by Cravens.

Heres a bit from the London Underground Page

" The Metropolitan line runs from Aldgate to Amersham, with branches to Chesham, Uxbridge and Watford covering 66.7 km (41.5 miles).

It serves 34 stations and requires 44 trains to operate the peak period service. King's Cross with an annual passenger count of 87 million is the line's busiest station.

Metropolitan line trains are known as A stock. They were manufactured by Cravens of Sheffield in two batches between 1960 and 1962 and run as eight-car trains made up of two units each consisting of four cars permanently coupled together " QUOTE]

Hi,

Back in 1977-78, I was working in Lima Peru. One weekend, we decided to take the train up to Huancayo in the mountains. This line was the highest in the World (nearly 16,000ft at the top) before the Chinese built their railway into Tibet.

The locomotive was Canadian but all the passenger cars were Cravens of Sheffield.

Regards

Edited by Falls

• 1 year later...
Unfortunately their DMUs were horrible to travel in, rattled, incredibly noisy even in the trailer car; I for one didn't shed a tear when they were replaced by Sprinters on the Sheffield - Worksop line.

Interesting thread this; as a frequent visitor to Ireland, I knew well the rattly loco-hauled cravens Stock which was used on many of the quieter Irish rail routes until only about 5 years ago. At the time when they were built in the 1950's they were actually quite advanced, with aluminium bodies, and they were like a slightly more luxurious and modern version of the BR Mark 1 Stock, but few tears were shed by the time they were scrapped and replaced by new European-style Turbo-diesel electric multiple units, which, incidentally in contrast to so many newer trains on the British network, enabled a massive increase in the number of carriages and seats on all Irish rail routes, as the Cravens carriages were usually limited to operating in sets of no more than 4, or on occasional intercity workings, 8. As far as I know, the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, who runs steam specials on Irish mainline routes, still has a few of these carriages preserved for their special trains.

• 2 months later...

I used to live 100 yards from Craven's gates. At shift end, you could not move for people coming out to catch the bus or tram on Darnall. the biggest claim to fame is the carriage made there for the Master Cutler train and the Orient Express