Cravens, Staniforth Road?

In the early 1960s Cravens were making suburban trains for export to Peru (!) The company dated back to the 1800s - a few years ago I did a bit of research into the Craven family. The firm was founded by John Craven (1830-1892) a Wakefield architect and timber merchant-turned-railway carriage builder. John lived at "The Knoll" on Handsworth road - the big house which in the 1970s-80s had the Sutherland Foods factory at the back. His son Ernest Craven (1859-1940) continued to live there after John died. Another member of the dynasty, John A. Craven (1846-1917), lived at Penrhyn House on Broomhall Place, just off Ecclesall Road. Here's an 1870s Cravens advert.

In the early 1960s Cravens were making suburban trains for export to Peru (!) The company dated back to the 1800s - a few years ago I did a bit of research into the Craven family. The firm was founded by John Craven (1830-1892) a Wakefield architect and timber merchant-turned-railway carriage builder. John lived at "The Knoll" on Handsworth road - the big house which in the 1970s-80s had the Sutherland Foods factory at the back. His son Ernest Craven (1859-1940) continued to live there after John died. Another member of the dynasty, John A. Craven (1846-1917), lived at Penrhyn House on Broomhall Place, just off Ecclesall Road. Here's an 1870s Cravens advert.

Always wondered about 'The Knoll'. Used to live on Willow Drive and our back garden backed on to the potted meat factory. Used to pong a bit some days! I think it's a clothing factory now.

We had a lovely view from the bedroom window that took in High Hazels House and the park as well as The Knoll.

A neighbour of my aunties set fire to Cravens on Staniforth Road it in the early seventies by accident.

They were welding some pipes started a small fire, went away to look for a fire extinguisher. When they got back the fire was out of control.

Must have been quite major as I remember that it closed Staniforth Road

• 5 months later...
A neighbour of my aunties set fire to Cravens on Staniforth Road it in the early seventies by accident.

They were welding some pipes started a small fire, went away to look for a fire extinguisher. When they got back the fire was out of control.

Must have been quite major as I remember that it closed Staniforth Road

As I wrote earlier I was an Apprentice at Bone Cravens in the 70s and I was at college one day a week,

I was on the 52 bus coming home from college when the bus driver did a de-tour everyone started to shout that he was going the wrong way until he shouted back that there was a fire at Bone Cravens and it had burnt down, the next day I went to work as usual and found out that it was just the machine shop that was burnt, I was in the fitting shop.

Worked in the template shop during the late 60's,there was was a wages robbery one week,the theives actually got back in the pay queue after passing on the money. Also remember a George Elam, couldn't trust him, he too busy looking after No 1

My father in law, Jim Jackson, worked there in the early '70s. He worked in the stores. He died in the early '80s of throat cancer. My brother in law, Ken Lee worked there as well, also in the stores. He passed away as well a couple of years ago. It was Bone Cravens who they worked for.

They also made HGV trailers and containers as well as the plastic moulding machines I have taken the plastic machines all over Europe for them this was in the 60s and 70s. There was several local firms who delivered the containers to the ports such as BRS, Trowbridge,Mills and Prestons to name some of them.

Aye,they started making 20 ft and 40 ft containers in 1968/69 and most went empty to either Renfrew or Greenock,occasionally Southampton.There were no twistlocks on trailers in those days so they were roped on,some trailers were only 36 ft so there was a bit of overhang.:hihi:

Some hauliers went up to Greenock and back in a shift................:rolleyes::heyhey:

Edited by Manxdeedah