King Edwards Hospital, 1965

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2008 at 20:51, DIDO said:

One day I will get round to sorting my photos out on Photo bucket. I have a photo taken on ward B3, when Billy Smarts Cicus came to visit. Ithink it was taken about 1953.

So have I. It has Coco the Clown standing over my bed looking at me.

On 29/08/2014 at 13:16, iyaana said:

Re: King Edward VII Hospital on Rivelin Valley

When I was little my father used to sing a song to me from his time in Rivelin. I don't know if I remember all the words.

"Mother, mother fetch me home

From this convalescence home

I've been here a year or two

Now I want to come to you

Here comes a nurse with a red hot poltice

Slaps it on and takes no notice

Ahhh says the patient that's too hot

Ah says the nurse I'm sure it's not

Goodbye to Dr Patterson

and all the patients to

?(Goodbye to Rivelin too and

Jolly old Matron too)

I am trying to understand more about my father's experiences in and out of this hospital for nine years between the years 1936 (aged 2) and 1955. He was being treated for TB. I am researching so that I can write a family book.

(There was a happy ending as my father met my mother who was nursing here and they had a happy life together.)

Please do any of you know of any written accounts about the treatment of TB, personal accounts or photographs? It feels as if little is known about this time and place. I strongly believe this experience for so many children needs to be remembered and recorded.

Anything you feel able to share would be very much appreciated.

I was in several times between about 1949 and 1964. I do have quite a few photos of my stay there, but I haven't figured out how to load them onto this site yet. I only joined it a few minutes ago. When I suss it, I'll put them on. Dr. Herzog and Mr. Holdsworth were my consultants.

Edited by Billy Ross

On 31/12/2012 at 13:18, DIDO said:

When I was in Rivilin visiting was every other Sunday for two hours, so I only saw my parents twice a month.

I was in there when Wilfred Pickles did his christmas day radio broadcast and I was interviewed live on air, Violet Carson was on the piano.

Me too. That's when I found out that Wilfred Pickles shared my birthday.

On 17/10/2018 at 16:08, DIDO said:

I was interviewed on the Wilfred Pickles show when they broadcast from Rivelin, I believe Violet Carson ( Ena Sharples played the piano.

Some of the stars who played at the Empire theatre used to put a show on at the hospital. remember Tesse O'Shea, who played the banjo, Winifred Attwell,(Piano), and of course there was also the circus.

We must have been in at the same time, you 'n' me.

I went in about January, 1950,  I was moved from the City General, straight onto Observation. Stayed there for about a week,  then moved to B2 for about a month. Then moved onto B1. I stayed there until about 1954, then moved back to the City General.  I cant remember many names, but here goes. David Spafford, Johnny Young, David Anderson, Brian Nortcliffe, Arthur Stephenson,  plus me , David Dyson.

I was in the Children's for a couple of years, and Reigate Annexe, then to Rivelin. I was in B2, B1 and A3 as well as frequent visits to obs. which is where I was on Coronation Day, so couldn't go and watch the telly. I don't recall any of those names though; the only three I can remember are Philip Hulley, Anne Gregory and Francis Frost. I do have quite a few photos of myself outside when the beds were taken out. I don't know how to load photos onto this site other than linking them to another website. I haven't used Photo Bucket for many years so I wouldn't know how to access my account on that site. I'll try to find a means to do it. Who knows? There might even be a photo of you there.