Bear pit in botanical gardens

• 11 months later...

i remember the bear pit in botanical gardens when i was six or seven, we at springfield school in classes two or three two teachers would take us for this treat to the botanical gardens, and the area around the bear pit, we were free to play in the area as it was the only fresh air we had as there was little greenery where we all lived. the bear pit was half full of dead leaves i recall this was around 1944/5. we would walk from school along broomhall street past st silas church right to park lane up to clarkhouse rd turn left along clarkhouse rd to botanical gardens. on the return the children would be let to go home on the way back to school

ps none went missing it must have been a good two mile walk there and back.

I had to smile about the description of the bear in the Bear Pit.

'January 2005 a mild steel sculpture of a bear (2.4m tall) was installed, to remind people of the former use of this structure. The bear was originally a pale silver grey colour, but the sculptor wanted the metal to rust naturally. He therefore treated the statue with acetic acid, and now, with the added influence of a traditional English summer, the bear is an interesting and very realistic grizzly-brown colour.'

I doubt very much if the writer of the article or the scultor has ever seen a Grizzly Bear, the bear looks more Stieff than Grizzly. I took some wedding reception pictures of the wedding guests grouping around the bear and the pictures raised more laughs than ooh ha's.

What do you forummers think?

PopT

Archived