Why do so many pubs close on Sunday lunchtimes?

Chelle01

We have a group of friends, about 20 of them,who travel from all over the north who used to meet monthly at the Rutland , which is now closed. We have been looking for a new venue and we checked out a couple of places, one of which being the Red Lion on Charles St. After being assured on two seperate occasions that they would be open on Sundays, we all gathered there only to find the doors shut.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find city centre pubs which are regularly open on a Sunday,suitable for such a meeting, even more difficult to find any who are prepared to serve food.

I feel this is a bad advert for Sheffield and it's aspirations for being a tourism centre.

Actually with this being the last weekend of a week's school holiday, there are lots of places which are currently quiet in the city due to the amount of people going away with their families.

Maybe this sunday is particularly unprofitable for pubs to open and next one will be a more normal one. I noticed yesterday evening that the traffic on the main road was extremely quiet.

While I love going into pubs, some of them closing, in the city centre for a bit on the quietest day of the week does not cause me to have a nosebleed. If you were to venture into the suburbs I guarantee you will find plenty of pubs on a sunday afternoon which are open and doing food.

Yes I noticed on a sunday evening few weeks back that BOTH the Rutland and the Howard were closed - quite shocked at the HowaRD really since its so close to rail station - is this a sign of the Credit Crunch / increased drink prices /reduced custom ?

We have a group of friends, about 20 of them,who travel from all over the north who used to meet monthly at the Rutland , which is now closed. We have been looking for a new venue and we checked out a couple of places, one of which being the Red Lion on Charles St. After being assured on two seperate occasions that they would be open on Sundays, we all gathered there only to find the doors shut.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find city centre pubs which are regularly open on a Sunday,suitable for such a meeting, even more difficult to find any who are prepared to serve food.

I feel this is a bad advert for Sheffield and it's aspirations for being a tourism centre.

Devonshire Arms, Very bottom Ecclesall Rd is as close to 'Town' as you can get without being quite in it lol. I am open every Sunday from 12 serving lunch till 3. And also have a car park for any drivers among you.

http://devonshirearms.thebigmenu.co.uk/

Maybe you could give us a try and see if it is suitable for you all!

I take the family into town quite often on a Sunday. There are pubs and bars open but not many in the traditional boozer sense.

We usually go to:-

Sylvesters and Leopold Hotel Bar - Leopold Square

The Museum - Orchard Square

Ruskin's - opposite Crucible

Ha! Ha! - Sit outside if it's fine (no kids inside)

The Roebuck - ditto -

RSVP

The Forum - not been in for a few years

Archived