Longest Queues For Cinemas

goldenfleece

Originally posted by docmel

Goldenfleece

Can I respectfully suggest that you may be getting confused with 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' ?

Hmmmm, that was 1978 though some 4 years before ET......still I saw a hell of lot of films, went nearly every week to either ABC or Gaumont so I guess its easy to confuse what was on at which cinema in those days.

Originally posted by Hopman

Hi Supercol,

Are you thinking of Butterkist? If so, that never seemed to sell when there was a big film on. Big film seemed to attract Playtime popcorn sales. 30p a cardboard carton packed with nutition.

There were some good films in those days... as well as some absolute dross.

Does anyone remember Outland with Sean Connery?

Those were the days. Not thinking of Butterkist, Sunkist was the flat orange squash dispensed out of the clear plastic chiller with a couple of plastic oranges floating in it. It was awful.

Remember Outland? sure do. Somebody can correct me, but I think it was the last 70mm (Todd AO) film to shown at the ABC. When it was built, the ABC Sheffield had the second largest screen in the UK. Watching the projection of a Todd AO print fill the screen was breathtaking. Projectionists didn't like it too much. The reels only lasted 20 minutes before changeover instead of 40 minutes for a 35mm copy. Twice as much work for the same pay!

Originally posted by Lestat

SuperCol, You must have been at the ABC when Superman 1 came out. That was my first ever film at a cinema.

Sorry, Superman 1 was late seventies and I didn't start work there until 1980. Remember going to see it, though. I remember the first proper film that I went to see (other than the ABC minors) without parents, 2001 - a space odyssey. Must have been about 1968 or 9 when I was about 9. Mind blowing.

Anyone remember the queues for the all night shows? Hundreds poured in for the all night Chinese specials. Mainly Kung-Fu films. It was a riot. They went through tons of hot dogs. Weirdly though, no trouble!! How things change.

Hi Supercol,

I stand corrected on Sunkist. I'd forgotten the plastic oranges. One point you do make, which has been lost in cinemas these days, is that the projection team were showmen, putting on a presentation, making it an event. Considering that the basic idea hadn'y changed much since the days of Mitchell and Kenyon (i.e. shining a light on a screen or a white wall) the team at the ABC did it with a finesse lacking nowadays.

Certainly the transition from the wide screen P&D to 70mm was a magnificent moment as the image just got bigger and bigger.

Was Star Trek 2 a 70mm presentation?

Originally posted by Hopman

Certainly the transition from the wide screen P&D to 70mm was a magnificent moment as the image just got bigger and bigger.

Was Star Trek 2 a 70mm presentation?

Hi Hopman

You seem to know a bit about the business. Did/do you work in a cinema?

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan was most certainly presented in 70mm. As you say, the transition from the Pearl & Dean adverts (in standard wide screen) to a 70mm presentation was mind blowing, better than drugs and worth the admission money by itself. The only problem with Star Trek 2 (other than the wooden acting) was that it was actually shot for anormorphic presentation (Cinemascope) rather than true 70mm (Todd AO). It had to be converted and the stretch marks were visible in the corners.

• 1 year later...
Those were the days. Not thinking of Butterkist, Sunkist was the flat orange squash dispensed out of the clear plastic chiller with a couple of plastic oranges floating in it. It was awful.

Remember Outland? sure do. Somebody can correct me, but I think it was the last 70mm (Todd AO) film to shown at the ABC. When it was built, the ABC Sheffield had the second largest screen in the UK. Watching the projection of a Todd AO print fill the screen was breathtaking. Projectionists didn't like it too much. The reels only lasted 20 minutes before changeover instead of 40 minutes for a 35mm copy. Twice as much work for the same pay!

When I was a projectionist, 35mm reels lasted seventeen minutes, then change over. The average film was six reels long. Then came the long playing machine with the entire programme on, and somehow it became boring.

• 2 weeks later...

: The longest waiting time ever was for Titanic,me and the wife waited 4 hours in snow,rain, sleet, and galeforce winds along with hundreds of people,

eventually we got to the front and do you know what they said?

sorry women and children first.:confused:

Jaws - Boxing Day 1975 at the ABC, no contest.

Showing my age now

:blush:

Remember it well, I was in it! Queue must have been way back past the back of the Cathedral. Seem to remember queueing for hours and hours and being bl00dy freezing :o

Archived