Longest Queues For Cinemas

goldenfleece

Remember it well, I was in it! Queue must have been way back past the back of the Cathedral. Seem to remember queueing for hours and hours and being bl00dy freezing :o

And it seemed such a good film at the time, the sound system in the ABC, made sure of that :)

Towering Inferno, Earthquake, nowhere better to see them than The ABC, even if you queued for a couple of hours

Hi Supercol,

I stand corrected on Sunkist. I'd forgotten the plastic oranges. One point you do make, which has been lost in cinemas these days, is that the projection team were showmen, putting on a presentation, making it an event. Considering that the basic idea hadn'y changed much since the days of Mitchell and Kenyon (i.e. shining a light on a screen or a white wall) the team at the ABC did it with a finesse lacking nowadays.

Certainly the transition from the wide screen P&D to 70mm was a magnificent moment as the image just got bigger and bigger.

Was Star Trek 2 a 70mm presentation?

What about the screen in Gaumont one? That could only have been a tich smaller than the ABC. I remember seeing Hello Dolly at Gaumont 1 when it first came out. I felt I was actually with Barbra Streisand. Wonderful times, wonderful memories - never to return.

• 1 year later...

In 1977 when i was 16 i remember going on a first date with a girl and arranging to see Saturday Night Fever at the ABC. The queues went on for miles and it was obvious we wernt going to get in. So where did i take my new girlfriend on our first date...to see Joan Collins in The Stud! Cant describe how embarassing that memory is now. Needless to say we lasted about a week!!!

the last time i saw a queue at the cinema, i ordered the tickets over the web on my phone, then walked past the queue and picked them up at the electric ticket machines and was in my seat within two minutes, ah the wonders of modern technology

:D :D :D

The longest queues I remember were to see "The Sound of Music" some people seemed to go mad about that film ..there were old ladies who claimed to have seen the film 50 times or more...

It went on and on week after week at the same cinema like the london musicals do...I saw it once and that was enough.

The longest queues I remember were to see "The Sound of Music" some people seemed to go mad about that film ..there were old ladies who claimed to have seen the film 50 times or more...

It went on and on week after week at the same cinema like the london musicals do...I saw it once and that was enough.

Tim, it was the old Odeon in flat street (now Mecca Bingo). It played there for two years non-stop - around 1965. Like you, I was not keen on it at all

• 2 months later...

Archived