Sakushi restaurant - your opinions...

i have eaten sushi in Japan, HK, NYC, Brussells and London and have to say that the nigiri and maki rolls offered by Sakushi is the SMALLEST i have ever seen by far.

Probably about 75% of the size of wasasbisabi and not even 50% of what you would get in a good Tokyo kaiten.

This is very sly of Sakushi imo as you need to buy more dishes to feel like you have eaten anything.

After all, if you exclude the fish, the ingredients are not that expensive (rice, cucumber, nori etc).

Having said that, the set up and food is nice but the portions are way way smaller than other sushi places.

This is a really interesting post.

To be fair though, if you want true class authenticity, it will not happen here in the UK straight away. For one, the lack of this type of ingredients. For two, the lack of culinary skill from the chefs.

I am presuming that you know the standard of sushi chef is quite high in Japan, and that it takes years to train? I think that UK is just starting out in the area of culinary taste.

I have also tasted sushi in Brussels as well, and it was absolutely delicious! :) I did not thought that it was possible to taste something that nice in Europe, but it was there. I think the chef really take care in putting the taste together, so really, kudos to him. Maybe there is a lack of decent fish, or you need to source really good fish in order to make some fantastic sashimi, but I guess to start off with the sushi (rice roll) is a starting point.

I have read so many articles on sushi in the UK. I have yet to try the Japan Centre in London, where it is supposed to be one of the more rated place. It was stated in a lifestyle magazine by The Economist or other. I am tempted to try Nobu in London as well, but I've read books by him and on his recipes, and I am not so certain that he is following traditional sushi chef method any more, since he has adapted his taste for the Western tastebuds any way. For the price that you pay in the West, it is just as easy to hop onto a cheap easyjet/ryanair plane (for 20 pounds cos it is so cheap now), and try the ones in Europe instead.

For the price that you pay in the West, it is just as easy to hop onto a cheap easyjet/ryanair plane (for 20 pounds cos it is so cheap now), and try the ones in Europe instead.

i take a eurostar regularly to Paris for this :) way cheaper than eating real Japanese food in the UK.

JETRO has a list of certified Japanese restaurants to eat in, in Paris and it's suburbs.

i take a eurostar regularly to Paris for this :) way cheaper than eating real Japanese food in the UK.

JETRO has a list of certified Japanese restaurants to eat in, in Paris and it's suburbs.

Sometimes when you add the cost of the meal here in the UK, you can find better qualities elsewhere for cheaper. JETRO... I'm going to look that up! I am just thinking whether to go down to London today or not for a tenner to check out the Japan Centre. :) It's not a restaurant as such, but more of a supermarket, but because it is working in conjunction with Japan Tourist Board and also JAL Air, I think they import a lot of ingredients over for other restaurants, and obviously make nice little selection of sushi boxsets. Yum. Yum.

There are plenty of Japanese chefs in the UK, so the training and cheffing ability will be the same as if you were in Japan.

The ingredients might make the difference, but getting a plane to brussells or the eurostar to paris for some sushi is rather extreme and unnecessary.

The best UK sushi I've ever had was in Taji Mate (spelling is suspect) somewhere not too far from St Pancras in London.

cyclone: it's not so much a reflection on the skills of the chefs, but rather on the actual outlay one has to come up with the same quality food.

for me, a good sushi run would include a trip to london for a day or so.

but oftentimes, it will be cheaper for me to get across via eurostar to paris.

so this is purely a (total food+travel) cost comparison, and the UK tends to lose on this front.

furthermore, i get to indulge is more exotic sashimi and other foods than i ever could imagine in the UK.

bago: Japan Centre does deliver if you need stuff too :) JETRO has an office in the actual building.

i spoke to a gentleman from JETRO last month when i was having lunch there about the JETRO-approved list. he informed me that they are not allowed to do such a list in the UK as it could be seen as promoting a cartel.

I think you don't understand the industry. A proper sushi chef do take a long time to train in Japan. That is, one that is fully qualified by certification, I believe. Many chefs do learn how to make sushi. Many people also try to become chefs. There is a major difference here. If you are going to be a global player in the dining industry, then won't you want to become better in the culinary skill that you decide on?

The Chef that I came across in this plaza, seems to be the owner of the place, and he acknowledge me when I looked on his menu. I was very very surprised at the salad which he put together, and the flavourings as well. I know that he isn't as well trained as the sushi chef in Japan, but he is a foodie at heart by the way that he makes the sushi. I watched him do this as well before I ordered the take-out. This place was not even a restaurant in Brussels, but it is a take-away place in a plaza, and it still had one of the freshest sushi set i have tasted with a decent free rice bowl and salad to come with it. If this guy can give this kind of high standard, then why can't we have such a high standard in the UK? For less?

It is not extreme when you put down the figures to be something like.

UK Meal = 80-100 per person, for something much more mediocre.

Europe = 50-60 including travel, and a higher food standard.

[Added] Anyway, feast your eyes on these pictures. ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

I will still try out this place and see if they do some lovely ones with unagi (eel), or some nice variation of maki rolls. I do like the fish roes stuck to rice. It tastes very sweet when it's really fresh.

cyclone: it's not so much a reflection on the skills of the chefs, but rather on the actual outlay one has to come up with the same quality food.

for me, a good sushi run would include a trip to london for a day or so.

but oftentimes, it will be cheaper for me to get across via eurostar to paris.

so this is purely a (total food+travel) cost comparison, and the UK tends to lose on this front.

How much do you spend on sushi in a sitting then? How much are the train tickets.

I tend to spend between £20 and £30 for a reasonable amount of Sushi. I can't imagine that I could even get a ticket for that, but maybe I'm wrong.

furthermore, i get to indulge is more exotic sashimi and other foods than i ever could imagine in the UK.

For example?

Archived