Sakushi restaurant - your opinions...

I think you don't understand the industry. A proper sushi chef do take a long time to train in Japan. That is, one that is fully qualified by certification, I believe. Many chefs do learn how to make sushi. Many people also try to become chefs. There is a major difference here. If you are going to be a global player in the dining industry, then won't you want to become better in the culinary skill that you decide on?

The Chef that I came across in this plaza, seems to be the owner of the place, and he acknowledge me when I looked on his menu. I was very very surprised at the salad which he put together, and the flavourings as well. I know that he isn't as well trained as the sushi chef in Japan, but he is a foodie at heart by the way that he makes the sushi. I watched him do this as well before I ordered the take-out. This place was not even a restaurant in Brussels, but it is a take-away place in a plaza, and it still had one of the freshest sushi set i have tasted with a decent free rice bowl and salad to come with it. If this guy can give this kind of high standard, then why can't we have such a high standard in the UK? For less?

It is not extreme when you put down the figures to be something like.

UK Meal = 80-100 per person, for something much more mediocre.

Pounds?

Are you joking?

Europe = 50-60 including travel, and a higher food standard.

Pounds? Euros?

And you're talking about getting take away sushi, of course it's cheaper. I had take away sushi in Canada for $10, it was brilliant (apart from the Miso soup, which I don't like). But take aways and people selling from stalls on the street don't have the same overheads as restaurants, you can't compare the two for price.

[Added] Anyway, feast your eyes on these pictures. ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

I will still try out this place and see if they do some lovely ones with unagi (eel), or some nice variation of maki rolls. I do like the fish roes stuck to rice. It tastes very sweet when it's really fresh.

They certainly have eel and maki with roe at sakushi, although I'm not a huge roe fan myself (only the tiny tiny ones).

How much do you spend on sushi in a sitting then? How much are the train tickets.

I tend to spend between £20 and £30 for a reasonable amount of Sushi. I can't imagine that I could even get a ticket for that, but maybe I'm wrong.

hmm...i think we are talking cross-purposes here.

i have not found a single place that serves proper sushi in Sheffield.

yes. zero.

once in a while i like to indulge in proper food.

you are trying to compare, say, a Grill night special at wetherspoons against, say, seared fillet of kobe beef at Restaurant 23.

For example?

say basashi (horse)?

or toro (fat tuna belly)?

or a good okonomiyaki?

or a nice seared wagyu tetaki?

Pounds?

Are you joking?

Pounds? Euros?

And you're talking about getting take away sushi, of course it's cheaper. I had take away sushi in Canada for $10, it was brilliant (apart from the Miso soup, which I don't like). But take aways and people selling from stalls on the street don't have the same overheads as restaurants, you can't compare the two for price.

They certainly have eel and maki with roe at sakushi, although I'm not a huge roe fan myself (only the tiny tiny ones).

No, I am not joking actually. Yo Sushi! may have cheapened the industry, but when sushi first came out in the UK, that is what you pay for. I think there are only a few handfuls of sushi restaurant around late 90s of this kind of price, with a decent chef.

A lot of these kind of sushi places only serve standard sushi that you can make at home. I want something that you know uses skills that only is in line with the cuisine itself.

Yo Sushi is actually quite expensive for what it is. Have you ever tried Kulu Kulu in London? At this moment in time, I don't care for the decor, but I want the food quality. As the ingredients can be expensive, I rather sit in an establish with dumbed down decor and have a higher quality food experience, than to sit in a great environment, but have medicro food.

I never used to like Sashimi, but if it is really fresh, then it is great. It is not what I thought it would be. The first time I had raw fish, I thought that it was really slimy. Though, through experience, I think you know how it is supposed to taste and look.

hmm...i think we are talking cross-purposes here.

i have not found a single place that serves proper sushi in Sheffield.

yes. zero.

I'm not sure what I'm missing then, I've eaten Sushi in 3 cities in the UK, 2 in Canada and one in the US (NYC), multiple venues in each obviously.

And I can't say that I've found the Sheffield Sushi to be lacking any key thing that left it 'improper'.

Admittedly I've not been to Japan and tried it there, so maybe there is something that I just don't know about.

once in a while i like to indulge in proper food.

you are trying to compare, say, a Grill night special at wetherspoons against, say, seared fillet of kobe beef at Restaurant 23.

I understand the point, although I think that Kobe is over rated, I'd rather have a good fillet cut, but either way it's not wetherspoons mixed grill.

say basashi (horse)?

or toro (fat tuna belly)?

or a good okonomiyaki?

or a nice seared wagyu tetaki?

I'm not keen on the idea of horse, but the Otoro sounds interesting.

I can't see why it wouldn't be available in Sheffield though, all the tuna comes from the same fish, so the belly portion is going somewhere...

No, I am not joking actually. Yo Sushi! may have cheapened the industry, but when sushi first came out in the UK, that is what you pay for. I think there are only a few handfuls of sushi restaurant around late 90s of this kind of price, with a decent chef.

Right, but we aren't doing a history lesson, it's 2009 now, not the 90's.

In fact you're the same age as me, so in the 90's (even the late 90's) you were at Uni. Did you spend that much on meals out as a student?

A lot of these kind of sushi places only serve standard sushi that you can make at home. I want something that you know uses skills that only is in line with the cuisine itself.

Seems reasonably.

Yo Sushi is actually quite expensive for what it is. Have you ever tried Kulu Kulu in London? At this moment in time, I don't care for the decor, but I want the food quality. As the ingredients can be expensive, I rather sit in an establish with dumbed down decor and have a higher quality food experience, than to sit in a great environment, but have medicro food.

I never used to like Sashimi, but if it is really fresh, then it is great. It is not what I thought it would be. The first time I had raw fish, I thought that it was really slimy. Though, through experience, I think you know how it is supposed to taste and look.

Don't think I've tried kulu kulu, London's a big place.

The best sushi i've had was in NYC I think, at some random little restaurant, something like 3rd and 55th I think on the corner.

I'm not keen on the idea of horse, but the Otoro sounds interesting.

I can't see why it wouldn't be available in Sheffield though, all the tuna comes from the same fish, so the belly portion is going somewhere...

horse and whale and raw chicken are things i have tried before, but not necessarily would want to eat them as a staple.

i wish o-toro was more commonly found in UK, but i haven't quite been lucky perhaps.

the context of the above (for our newly-joined readers) is the question you asked regarding where more exotic and interesting Japanese food types could be tried.

i was lucky that the office i worked out of in Tokyo when i was seconded there was just across the road from Tsukiji fish market. we would cross the road and put ourselves at the mercy of the Master Sushi Chef - he makes the call on what to serve us based on what he has learnt from our reaction to what previously served, and remembers our likes and dislikes from before.

i'm also lucky when i'm home in Australia that i have access to so much fresh seafood, a lot of which is exported to Japan.

i would probably make it clear that i am not bashing Sheffield for not having all these things available. i certainly don't think they is a big enough market for non-frozen eel or fresh abalone or sea urchin in Sheffield.

the discussion was regarding the cost of having proper sushi - that it was cheaper sometimes travelling to the Continent than having it in England.

on the flipside, i would be silly trying out a range of real ales in Japan :)

it's back to the comparison of the Wetherspoons mixed grill versus (examples now changed since didn't like the Kobe beef reference) the sirloin served at, um, La Cabaña in Buenos Aires.

there is nothing proper about sushi in Sheffield. anyone can whack a ball of vinegared rice together, stick some raw fish above it and sell it as nigiri.

or follow some youtube videos on "how to wrap your own maki".

to bring this slightly back on-topic, i have been to Sakushi three times so far. nothing has detracted from my experience there.

it's a good kaiten-zushi. serve size slightly on the small size (also pointed out by previous posters). nice staff. good place for a wonderful lunch or dinner.

but still _not_ proper sushi.

i would be sure Junji Aida, head chef at Sakushi, would agree to that statement in private.

Right, but we aren't doing a history lesson, it's 2009 now, not the 90's.

In fact you're the same age as me, so in the 90's (even the late 90's) you were at Uni. Did you spend that much on meals out as a student?

Seems reasonably.

Don't think I've tried kulu kulu, London's a big place.

The best sushi i've had was in NYC I think, at some random little restaurant, something like 3rd and 55th I think on the corner.

You know what Cyclone, I don't understand why you are so argumentative on this issue. Why antagonise than to discuss? Okay, to answer your question, I was treated to that meal by an auntie of mine, and I found it extortionate that it can cost so much. Okay? (Not that I should have to justify myself on an internet forum! OMG.) What is it to you who paid for my meals? Should you care how a student spend her money? What tosh.

I think that you are being a tad defensive here judging from how you responded in your post.

Yes, if you go to Japan, then it is a whole different ball game. Just as people in Sheffield rate their beers and brews so much, they will be outraged by the other watered down beer that gets served abroad. It is the same concept here. No difference. So I don't understand what is the point that you are trying to prove here. Do I think that you ought to go to Japan and taste the sushi for the sake of this sushi business? Yes!

You may say that the sushi in the UK tastes as good, but it is no way compared that to how it is supposed to serve in Japan, say. I think if you eat enough raw fish, you know how it is supposed to taste. It does not take a rocket scientist to know how raw fish should taste. In the UK, we just have access to different types of fish than the ones that may be found in Japan, and that there are certain standard set which make it difficult to truly serve raw fish.

I don't think it's not proper though, just because it doesn't have those things. So you can have real, if not exotic, sushi in Sheffield, and it'll certainly be cheaper than getting the eurostar to Paris or Brussels.

Of course there are "proper" sushi which is supposed to have a wide range of sashmi and sushi all encompassed into the name of the cuisin. It is like saying, it is proper Yorkshire Ale brewed in Japan when you can also find Yorkshire Ale in Japan. :rolleyes: Unless you export the stuff, then it isn't as proper. I know that the use of the word proper seemed somewhat subjective, but surely the other guy also is entitled to an opinion?

I think what you will find also is that some sushi outside of Japan is indeed 'real' sushi, and noone denies that. However, you have to acknowledge that some recipes have been adapted. Just like Tikka Masala has in the UK. "Californian rolls" actually originated from California, because the ingredients were found easily in California. :confused: Some may choose to use words not "not proper" to denote that it is not properly following the original recipe from whever it is supposed to be originated from.

Anyway, I am also intrigued and would like to try out this place too. I also like Wasabisabi over Yo!Sushi. I would say that both are more home-made style kind of sushi as said. I have also recently tried Yo!Sushi again. I can now see that they have tried to introduce new items to the menu to entice their diners. I am still so so about Yo!Sushi, as I find that they don't have such a varied taste in their sushi. I prefer the Wasabisabi ones. I do like their hand rolls too with the tempura prawns in it.

Archived