Sakushi restaurant - your opinions...

Hi Bigbear,

I cannot find the pdf file in the JETRO site. Can you link it here?

A lot of the "fusion" restaurants are labelled as Nouvelle Cuisine? Putting it in a nice way. Though, to be honest, who will really follow the recipes so strictly? The recipe should really be improved, and not fused too much such that it is not what it is supposed to be.

Anyway, I am glad that there are a few more sushi places in Sheffield. As it means that there will be more competition to get better interesting combinations of sushi for diners.

One of the ones that I like in Wasabisabi is the combination of tempura prawns with tobikko roes, with a little bit of mayo with vinegared sushi rice in a roll. I have not tried this in that many places at all. It will be interesting if the sushi places do give good combination together and really think about the flavours.

Bago

Sakushi card holders can now get the following offers this month: -

Monday - 5 Plates of sushi for £10.95

Tuesday - Pink plate (£3.80) charged at orange plate price (£3.30)

Wednesdays - Any two noodle dishes- only £12.95 (excludes tempura)

Thursdays - Cocktails - two for one!

20% student discount available Mon - Fri - between 2.30pm - 6pm

Sakushi Card holders can also get discount on the Sushi School!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here is my true feedback. I have to say that, I will rate it in the following order: Decor, service, food.

Decor was nice. It has a ultra-modern look to it. I like the front of the conveyor belt where it bends round and it looks pretty impressive. I did not know that it had a conveyor belt. So I was quite impressed with that. I do also like the big sofa seats, which makes a change to the smaller seating in the Wasabisabi place. However, the front door need some kind of double-door to stop cold air from going into the whole restaurant whenever someone opens it.

Service is fine. I did not like the first question that was asked by the maitre D. "Do you know how to order?" or something like that. I was also asked by waiters in Yo Sushi before as well, and this really winds me up. Nobody ever ask anybody how to dine, or to drink in a pub. People stop asking this kind of question. It makes the experience more relaxed then.

Other than that, the rest of the service was fine. Though, it would've been better if the Maitre D caught our eye contacts when we wanted a refill in the tea. As he was busy attending to his gf. (Yes, I was not impressed with this, and I also noted that by that time, we were the only table left.) :rolleyes:

Food is so so. I have read this thread, and I don't think the sizes were as small as others have said. It is pretty large in comparison! I was gobsmacked. :hihi:

"However" my criticism is that, I am not impressed with the huge size for the low price, because it defeats the point of tasting all the small ingredients in one piece to experience the sensation of the chosen ingredients. :confused:

Extra rice, was padded onto some larger rolls. It makes me think that the chef do not know how to engage in the rolling and try to fit in a reasonable size of the various ingredient to give a nice combination. Which is why sushi chefs are trained for years. This was not a good start. The rice was also not vinegared. (This is just wrong.)

Prices are "reasonable" for the various dishes. I think this is a good pitch for Sheffield, and it is not as extortionate as Yo Sushi in London. Though, the combination are not as clean cut as some other places in their sushi.

The ramen soups were seasoned with too much soy sauce. Though my cousin did say that the soup was more authentic, as it used the fish stock. Which makes a change.

The tempura that we tried looked impressive and it seems a lot. However, the tempura did not cooked properly and it left a residual flour lumps in some part of the vegetable.

To further test the chef and his skill. I also did try the unagi, and the salmon (which is common enough for the UK). The eel was locally sourced. It was not cooked as you should, but just had a squeezed amount of sweet soy sauce on top of it. It should not be like that. It is supposed to be cooked "in" the sauce and served "warm".

The Salmon was also not treated properly, as it tasted very slimy. I knew that it is hard to source truly fresh fish, and the reputation of the restaurant depends on it. (The chef should have tested this before serving to customers.) The fish tasted very thick, as if it was treated with a coating of corn flour to it. It should taste cleaner. Non-Japanese style to preserve fish is to use a combination of lemon juice with other preservative to preserve the fish longer before serving. Though, this was not the case when I tasted it. In Japan, you can buy the fish in the same day and you serve in the same day.

I do think that this place has potential, but the food is not as good as it could be. The combination and thought put into the rice rolls are good. i.e. variation of the californian rolls, using the coated chicken in the fillings as well as fish roes. The soup base, and choice of ingredients were all good. The skill of the chef is not the same, and maybe they do not know how it is supposed to be, and how to better the processes. As it does show in the food when served. I still do not know why the rice is not vinegared. Though I cannot remember tasting this in most Japanese restaurant in the UK, but it should be though.

Overall experience: 6/10.

A good restaurant to try Japanese cuisine, if you have not done so before. Not one that pays true homage to the cuisine.

Service is fine. I did not like the first question that was asked by the maitre D. "Do you know how to order?" or something like that. I was also asked by waiters in Yo Sushi before as well, and this really winds me up. Nobody ever ask anybody how to dine, or to drink in a pub. People stop asking this kind of question. It makes the experience more relaxed then.

Decent review. The only part I'd pick up on is my quote. I suppose many people haven't seen the conveyor belt method, never mind used it. I thought it a good idea to be asked, and then had the system explained ( not exactly rocket science, but hey). Apart from anything else, it showed to us that our waitress was friendly and approachable, which made it easier when asking for items not on the menu.

Decent review. The only part I'd pick up on is my quote. I suppose many people haven't seen the conveyor belt method, never mind used it. I thought it a good idea to be asked, and then had the system explained ( not exactly rocket science, but hey). Apart from anything else, it showed to us that our waitress was friendly and approachable, which made it easier when asking for items not on the menu.

I know I sounded mean in saying this, and I know I expect a high service to be delivered as well.

I was taken aback when he asked me and I stared at my cousin. If the person has never been in a place where sushi conveyor belt exists, then their look will say it all, especially when they are quiet and look into their menus. THIS would be a very good point to ask if they needed assistance. It makes it a more subtle service, and you don't make presumptions of your customers, and nor do you offend. Cos by asking, the other person thinks that you are off your rockers, and that he himself may not know that others who have tried the cuisine exists. I will admit that I was out to test the place, so he didn't pass that test. :P

I know that Wagamama also have their staff "prep" people, because their style is more fast food, and served in a canteen style of environment. A lot of people expecting the 3 course meal dining experience will be disappointed. I have to say, I did not know what to expect from Sakushi. Whether it is going for the fine dining kind of experience, or the more informal dining experience and so forth. As the place had both kind of seating arrangements.

I'm a big fan of Japanese food and visited Sakushi on a quiet Sunday a couple of weeks ago. I thought the service was excellent, the waiter asked if we'd ordered from a conveyor belt before and gave us a brief explanation. We ended up ordering most of our sushi to be ready made and I was impressed. Although some of the dishes were better than others, I'd definitely recommend it and have booked to go for lunch with some friends next week.

Archived