Sakushi restaurant - your opinions...

Been once and it was pretty poor except for the dark Asahi, but at £4 a bottle it wasn't cheap. For starters the rolls are too big, you can't eat them in a dignified manner in one bite. They also use sesame seeds rather than tobiko, which is just plain cheap and seeing as every other sushi place in Sheffield uses clearly getting them is not an issue. They don't do tempura on request, you have to get them from the conveyor belt, which isn't so bad when they're fresh, but they sweat in the plastic covers if left for a while. Not amazingly cheap, you have to pay £3 for any dish worth having and again this doesn't measure up to the competition.

It's not that bad, but then again it's not that great and with alot of competition in Sheffield, with Yo Sushi to open soon I don't see a future for this place. If they brought down their prices and became a bit more authentic then i'm sure they will do great, otherwise I think they are doomed...

not authentic? have you been to Japan? i would say it is exactly the same.

They do tobiko and masago on their rolls. Seseme is to get a different flavour surely. Went last last night and had to wait 30 mins for a seat it was that busy, same people in that i have seen before so i dont think they have a problem with repeat customers. I would say 40% where Japanese and Chinese and thats usually a good sign isnt it.

People who complain about price should not go to nice restaurants, if you dont want to pay the price to eat somewhere dont go. this is the same for people who complain about wasabisabi's prices! if you dont want to pay for it dont go, there is no gun to your head! i.e. no one is making you eat there.

i dont understand how 99% of this thread people have had an exceptional experience and the the odd one make out it is terrible. This is the same with many good restaurants on sf and it doesnt make sense to me. Wasabisabi and Sakushi are both excellent but they have to deal with the same people who will never be pleased.

I have been to Japan and the sushi in Sakushi is no where near as good, which is to be expected. I'm not saying it's terrible, far from it, the dark Asahi is one of the nicest beers I have tried and the food is acceptable and enjoyable, minus a few flaws. My point was that it won't survive when there are cheaper and better sushi restuarants in sheffield, with more to come. They are hardly authentic, as anyone with a basic knowledge of sushi would know that they are meant to be small enough to eat in one bite.

I've been to Wasabisabi and Yama Sushi and they are both better in my opinion. If Sakushi didn't have the novelty of the conveyor belt and the prime location then it wouldn't attract so many people. I highly doubt it is the food alone that tempts people back, as if that were the case then everyone would surely go elsewhere.

Where do you think is cheaper?

And where do you think is better?

(Surely not the same answer to both questions).

I've been to Wasabisabi and Sakushi and they are both better in my opinion.

Eh?

Maybe you meant Yama Sushi?

I've been to all 3, along with many others in other cities and countries. Wasabisabi is considerably more expensive, equally good food though, Yama was worse food and charged for ginger, I'll never be going there again.

I did mean Yama Sushi and it is both better and cheaper. Wasabisabi maybe a little more expensive, but not by much and the quality is clearly better. Not sure what your beef with Yama Sushi is, the sushi itself is great and I have never been disappointed. Charging for ginger is a bit stingy, but if you think paying more means better quality then surely you'd love to pay for ginger...

I have previously explained my opinion on all 3 sushi bars. Sakushi and wasabisabi are at the same standard and if i remember right Sakushi is the cheapest sushi bar in Sheffield. If you ignore the fact that the sushi is served on small Kaiten dishes at Sakushi it is of a very high standard, i bet if it was served on a fancy wooden boat everyones perception would be different.

Magoo if you had been to Japan then you will know that sesame is used in pretty much everything.

I lived in Japan and my mrs is Japanese! I hate it when people who have been to Japan have a 'snobbery' as if their knowledge of sushi is something special. Let me just say if you have had good sushi in Japan you have to pay for it, more than wasabisabi and more than what you would in London. in fact you are more likely to find a good sushi bar in the UK just because they are on every corner in Japan. So i doubt Magoo that you had good sushi in Japan if you are complaining about prices here. If you visit Japan the odds of you stubbling into a good sushi bar are very slim and the food safety laws over there are minimal.

Dont get me wrong Japan is the best place for sushi but that does not mean in the UK you can not get similar standard. Sakushi and wasabisabi :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I did mean Yama Sushi and it is both better and cheaper. Wasabisabi maybe a little more expensive, but not by much and the quality is clearly better. Not sure what your beef with Yama Sushi is, the sushi itself is great and I have never been disappointed. Charging for ginger is a bit stingy, but if you think paying more means better quality then surely you'd love to pay for ginger...

How can ginger be better quality? I've never had to pay for ginger before and £1.40 for it is ridiculous. You can find my Yama Sushi review in the YS thread though.

How can ginger be better quality? I've never had to pay for ginger before and £1.40 for it is ridiculous. You can find my Yama Sushi review in the YS thread though.

I do think Yama Sushi may have been told, because I've been 3 times now, and was only charged the first time. As for prices, I always seem to spend more in Sakushi than Yama sushi or East ocean, and leave less full. I realise the dishes are cheaper each, but 2 pieces for £3 (ish) still works out dearer than 6 for £5.

I have previously explained my opinion on all 3 sushi bars. Sakushi and wasabisabi are at the same standard and if i remember right Sakushi is the cheapest sushi bar in Sheffield. If you ignore the fact that the sushi is served on small Kaiten dishes at Sakushi it is of a very high standard, i bet if it was served on a fancy wooden boat everyones perception would be different.

Magoo if you had been to Japan then you will know that sesame is used in pretty much everything.

I lived in Japan and my mrs is Japanese! I hate it when people who have been to Japan have a 'snobbery' as if their knowledge of sushi is something special. Let me just say if you have had good sushi in Japan you have to pay for it, more than wasabisabi and more than what you would in London. in fact you are more likely to find a good sushi bar in the UK just because they are on every corner in Japan. So i doubt Magoo that you had good sushi in Japan if you are complaining about prices here. If you visit Japan the odds of you stubbling into a good sushi bar are very slim and the food safety laws over there are minimal.

Dont get me wrong Japan is the best place for sushi but that does not mean in the UK you can not get similar standard. Sakushi and wasabisabi :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I never once saw sesame seeds used on Sushi whilst in Japan, only when I was back in england. To me it seems like a cheap alternative, it might be a different taste, but tobiko is so much nicer. I went to a fair few sushi places in Japan and it was all fairly cheap, which is to be expected seeing as it Japan's signature dish. It appears that you think your knowledge of sushi is something special, maybe rightly so as you have lived there. But surely if my apparently shoddy experience of sushi in Japan leaves me feeling unsatisfied at what Sakushi have to offer then that's pretty damning review of Sakushi.

Archived