Sakushi restaurant - your opinions...

I love sushi and normally go to Wasabisabi but thought that I would try somewhere different for my birthday next week.

I have had a look at the Sakushi website and it is appalling. Full of out of date information (special offers from November 1999:confused:, opening times from Summer 2008 ) and each time I try and click the menu it diverts me to the online ordering system and then tells me that they are closed.

Is the restaurant any better than the website? Is the restaurant even open on Monday nights? Should I just go to Wasabisabi?

Really sorry about the website, it is being updated in many areas. It was set as under construction for a few weeks but then we felt it was best to keep it online so customers can at least see our opening times etc.

If you send and email to info@sakushi.co.uk i will send you a copy of our menu.

once again i apologise to everybody about the website.

Really sorry about the website, it is being updated in many areas. It was set as under construction for a few weeks but then we felt it was best to keep it online so customers can at least see our opening times etc.

If you send and email to info@sakushi.co.uk i will send you a copy of our menu.

once again i apologise to everybody about the website.

Thanks for your reply. I will send an email to the address above.

We went to Sakushi last night. It was good. We had a sashimi platter, a few nice rolls from the belt, spider rolls, miso soup and a bottle of wine for £50 odd. We ordered a lot - conveyor belts worry me as I worry about how long raw fish has been sat on them.

The food was good and it is handy with it being in town but it's just not up to the standard of Wasabisabi. The atmosphere isn't right. There wasn't any music on. I felt as though the staff were kind of watching over us. Also the crockery was a bit grubby. Not dirty enough to raise a complaint, just not pristine - if you know what I mean!!

I've been to Sakushi twice; once with boyfriend for lunch and once with him and my Dad for dinner.

Both times I've really enjoyed the food. The waiters are very attentive and helpful, will explain any little thing that you feel stupid even asking. The first time was quite expensive as we ordered a bottle of wine (I think it was about £16), but the second visit we had flasks of sake instead, which was much nicer and much cheaper!

The food is quite varied; I've tried several of the sashimi, nigiri, californian rolls and some of the hot ordered dishes. The beef teriyaki is delcious (cooked very rare, the way I like it, but be warned others!). The miso soup is fabulous - so much flavour for a soup. Also really recommend the eel nigiri, it's fantastic.

I think the portions are quite big, sometimes difficult to eat delicately. The conveyor belt is a wonderful idea for newcomers to sushi as they can see what their food looks like before trying. Gutted that they do not offer more tempura dishes (like the wonderful soft shell crab and sea bass tempura at Wasabi Sabi, part of the Kaisen platter), would like to see more on the menu.

Atmosphere has been calm and relaxed when I've been. However, both times were quite empty so this might not be the case for busier times. Even though there weren't many people there, there will still many dishes going around.

To summarise, I'd say go to the following:

- Yo Sushi in Meadowhall for a quick, cheap intro to sushi between shopping.

- Wasabi Sabi for a evening out or a special dinner, if you're willing to pay more for the quality.

- Sakushi - for a brilliant lunch in the city centre. Convenient location, but nicely tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the main shopping promenade. Good prices and good quality. And 20% student discount - wonderful!

Archived