Marquis of granby derbyshire RIP.

I used to deliver into thr M o G in the nineties. It was pretty much dying on its feet then. Interesting to note on the new website is the copyright date.....2015. The info may be out of date but someone is keeping the website alive

Years back sheffield pubs last orders at 22:30 to be drunk by 22:40 not so TMoG which was in derbyshire... last orders 23:00 and supposed to be drunk by 23:30 ..as if :-)

I'm told by a local a guy did buy it and wanted to convert into a home then whe refused permission into flats when refused permission again he just waited for it to fall down.

What happened to it in the end I have no idea.

Edited by Tommo68

Guest makapaka

There was a massive development planned for this site a few years ago.

A large conference / hotel / leisure centre.

I worked on some of the initial proposals for it. I left the company I was working for at the time and assumed I would see something pop up there over the next few years but it would seem not.

Probably due to the recession.

I heard that the issue with redevelopment was bats in the remaining central building. This was from a taxi driver, so an unimpeachable source.

The building no longer remains, the bats must have lost!

I heard a few years ago that part of the plan for the land was to include some housing and the council had insisted on there being some 'social housing' which had deterred the developer. This was just a rumour and may have no foundation in fact.

I agree to think they can demolish a fine building like the marquis, down, it could have been into a youth hostel or very affordable small hotel, I've been to a few dinner dances there, it could have been a over 50s sheltered housing, or senior citizens home wish I had had the finance to do it but alas I don't never did, but hate to see building being torn down yet places like park hill and other crap holes like the hallamshire hotel, and other building that should have gone years ago. i'm all for modernisation but some times it goes to far steve

I agree to think they can demolish a fine building like the marquis, down, it could have been into a youth hostel or very affordable small hotel, I've been to a few dinner dances there, it could have been a over 50s sheltered housing, or senior citizens home wish I had had the finance to do it but alas I don't never did, but hate to see building being torn down yet places like park hill and other crap holes like the hallamshire hotel, and other building that should have gone years ago. i'm all for modernisation but some times it goes to far steve

Its not modernisation that goes too far, but simple, unadulterated, greed my friend - wins every time.