Marquis of granby derbyshire RIP.

• 9 months later...
Memories of using the pool at the Rising Sun !

When did the pool close ?

It was purchased in the 80s by the Walkers landlords of the Castle Hotel Castleton,that is just the pool not the pub!.I remember when a young couple bought the Rising Sun after it was sold to pay the debts of the waste of space running it!,they were renovating the kitchens!.A team of blokes with steam hoses were cleaning the skylights above the gas ranges,the grease and muck had to be taken out in wheelbarrows,as soon as they were cleaned the lot collapsed it was the muck holding them up!.I remember the chef telling me one time "We haven,t had a booking for a week!",turns out mice had chewed through the telephone wires cutting them off!.I tell you if you saw the kitchens of some of the so called posh eating pubs you wouldn,t touch them with a bargepole!,I could tell you a few horror stories observed by me whilst serving them for Fletchers in the 80s!.:gag::roll: