June 2nd 1953 Queens Coronation Day

june 2nd 1953 was a Tuesday

As I remember it, my family and a few other neighbours went next door. We all crowded around their tiny TV, I was 10yrs old at the time, when I was eleven we had our own TV.

I can't understand how I was at home (I thought it was a Sat) and you was at school, what day was her coronation on? I was at Mansel Juniors at the time and we received a mug (or was that her wedding) lots of senior moments lately :huh::D

As I remember it rained all day. I had a friend doing his National Service in the RAF and he was one of the young men in uniform who lined the route and was wet through.

I watched it together with a lot more young peple at my boyfriends house.

There was a song very popular at the time " In a Golden Coach " which sticks in my mind, written I suppose for the occcasion. We must have been given a day off work as I had left school by then.

Can't remember if my red white and blue dress was bought for the Coronation or a later affair whch was something to do with a British Exhibition ?? glass

house or Crystal.

Just remembered it was Festival of Britain.

hazel

Hazel - In a Golden Coach was a huge hit for Dickie Valentine. I have it here. The Festival of Britain was in 1951, to mark the centenary of The Great Exhibition.

june 2nd 1953 was a Tuesday

Spot on - it was a Tuesday. Our living room was full that day. My dad had got a TV from Wigfalls a few weeks earlier. We had a day off school, but it absolutely p----d it down all day, and the next too. I remember Queen Salote of Tonga riding in the procession in her open carriage, and getting soaked. She became very popular because of that.

Yes the Queen of Tonga rode by with a great big smile and got the biggest cheer although Churchill also got a resounding clap. His carriage turned off the parade opposite to where I was standing and turned into Horse Guards. A lot of the route was lined with navy with white blancoed belts and hats which because of the rain streaked down their uniform they looked a right mess but didn't seem to mind.

Archived