Did Anyone Go To Carbrook C/e 58-1964?

My mum and Dad and uncle both went there Mum - Sandra Robertson, Dad -Frank Schofield and Uncle George Schofield
hello iseh ive tried to send you a message but im not very good on this yet i was big pals of your mum n dad ngeorge in fact sandra n i lived on the same street n share the same birthday 21st june 1950 hope they r well please give them all my regards we had some great times happy days would be thrilled to hear of them xx

i lived on carltonville road,just around the corner from carbrook school.:)

hi teenyweeny

just catching up on the threads on forum lived on carltonville rd 1939/64 left carbrook county 1950 then to coleridge rd till 1954 might have known your family

• 7 years later...
On 05/06/2008 at 20:28, cleegirl said:
johnrothwell said:
I remember old man cornflakes, (mr cornthwaite,the headmaster). There was miss storey,miss robinson and i think it was mrs spears (head dinner lady). anyone out there remember anybody else?:huh:

i remember mr kelly miss sanderson who would nt miss haydock miss wang miss egerton i know there are more also yes i remember mrs spears used to help her at lunch time regards j....

I went to school with ivor rothwell

• 5 years later...
On 06/09/2010 at 03:12, FredMurray said:

Yes he was my grandfather. Sorry it has taken 12mths to answer but i've had a heart bypass and a leg amputated since then lol. I lived next door to the shop on carbrook st with my parents, who now live in darnall. I myself moved to leicester 30yrs ago.

Hi. Mr Rothwell, of Rothwell's shop opposite the Weir Head was about five houses up from where I lived most of my boyhood. He had the only telephone in the area that I knew of at that time and he let me use it when I had an emergency. I don't remember much about him except that I had the impression, somehow, that he had strong forearms. His daughter once when to Spain and came back with a set of castanets. I was very impressed. She was a few years older than me so our paths didn't cross much but I liked her. One of the interesting things about the service Mr Rothwell used to provide an unusual service to the factory workers in the huge steel mill that formed one side of the Weir Head. There was no entry or exit from the factory anywhere near the Weir so they used to call out from high on the corner wall where they had access and lower a bucket on a rope with money for the order they had shouted down. Rothwell's would take the good across the road and put them in the bucket for them to be hauled up the wall (the wall there was taller than a house). {my name is Les Johnson, No. 138 Carbrook Street]

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, she live a few house up from Rothwell's. She was friends. I think she was a little older than me and more my brother's age. She knew him better. My brother was called Raymond Johnson. 

When I was born in 1955 my mom was very ill with TB.   Being very contagious she wasn't allowed ( or able ) to look after my sister and myself so we were cared for by relatives. My sister lived with an aunty and uncle at Firth Park and I lived with my aunty and uncle at Carbrook.  All in all it was about 5 years before my mom was clear and strong enough to care for us.

My aunty and uncle  ( Joan and Clarrie Whittaker ) lived on Yarmouth Street with their two children ( Christine and Stephen ) who were like a sister and brother to me.  I remember my uncle taking me to Carbrook C/E school on my first day and being mesmerized by a little black girl in class.  I'd never seen a black person before that and I thought she was lovely.

Our next door neighbours were Mr and Mrs Hill ( Ken and Hilda who I called aunty and uncle ) and their two children Verena ( can't remember the boys name )   Over the wall in the next yard was a lady called Clara Gilbert who lived with and looked after a 'special needs' man called Joe.  He was harmless but used to scare us little kids by hanging about in the dark entry at the side of our house and he also used to stand outside and peep through the net curtains into the kitchen.  🤣   I also remember playing on the 'rec' a couple of streets away and going for long walks with my uncle and dog Sandy along the Tinsley canal.     All a long time ago now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LesJ said:

Yes, she live a few house up from Rothwell's. She was friends. I think she was a little older than me and more my brother's age. She knew him better. My brother was called Raymond Johnson. 

I think I know him ; his  name is familiar. I used to knock about down Carbrook st. and Brightside  I knew Christine very well and I'm wondering if anyone knew what happened to her. My name is Dave Newton.