Motorbikes in the 60s - 70s

I passed my driving test on a Lambretta LD150 in 1963. :hihi:

It was a wet March day and the venue was up the top of where all the bike shops used to be - Ecclesall Road?

I bought an 11 year old 500cc Triumph T100 in 1966 for £17 10/-

I've still got it (and a few more now).

My mate and I used to go to Rotherham each Friday night for a run and chat with others.

We also used to go to Matlock Bath each weekend.

I used to go to Scarborough Oliver's Mount for each race event, **** o' the North, Gold Cup, Internationals and the like.

Anyone else have a bike in those days?

MWesty

Hi, Bought my first bike in 1961. BSA 350cc B40. £205 brand new. A bit slower than my present bike, a Kawasaki ZZR 1200. 47 years and still mad about bikes. Just bought my daughter a GPZ 500 for when she passes her test, Nothing finer is there ?

Bill

I passed my driving test on a Lambretta LD150 in 1963. :hihi:

It was a wet March day and the venue was up the top of where all the bike shops used to be - Ecclesall Road?

I bought an 11 year old 500cc Triumph T100 in 1966 for £17 10/-

I've still got it (and a few more now).

My mate and I used to go to Rotherham each Friday night for a run and chat with others.

We also used to go to Matlock Bath each weekend.

I used to go to Scarborough Oliver's Mount for each race event, **** o' the North, Gold Cup, Internationals and the like.

Anyone else have a bike in those days?

MWesty

I too have a Tiger 100, do you fancy going to Matlock on Friday?

Hello Cat631

I'd love to meet you at Matlock on Saturday, however it would be a difficult task - I'd have a one way ride of over 150 miles from Co Durham to get there! Besides - I've got jobs to do that can't be shirked. :(

I do get out and about on my bikes - averaging over 7,000 miles on them during the year.

I'm in the Vintage Motor Cycle Club and the section has runs out on most weekends (especially summer) and I also visit other local sections regularly (South Durham, Lakes, etc) :D

I had my original Lambretta bought for me for £15 in 1963. I sold it for £20 in 1971 with a broken prop drive!

As I said before, I bought my present 1955 T100 for £17 10/- in 1966 - it still gets used regularly.

My T110 was inherited from my younger brother in 1993.

My 1927 BSA 350 was bought three years ago - and I'm the third registered keeper.

I also bought a 1200 Bandit last year - it's 3 years old.

I've had various bikes in between - 600 Bandit, 600 Yamaha Diversion, Honda CB200, 50cc Sun scooter, but still have the four as best.

When I lived at Stannington I used to go regularly to Mallory Park - had a season ticket.

My wife and I have been three times to Cornwall on the T100 in the 70s for holidays. Masochists or what?

Now that we're 'grandparents' she doesn't get on the pillion very much - prefers the Fiesta comfort. :love:

Carsupplier - I read your previous thread on Sheffield bike shops - how about Horridge & Wildgoose at the top of London Road - Abbeydale Road junction? - they sold Triumphs and spares.

One day I'll make a nostalgic foray into Sheffield and district - Maybe! :D

MWesty

yeah/

I passed my test in sheffield on a bsa 250 c15 1959 model which I borowed ,I had a 200 cc triumph sports cub I bought 4 £50 [a lot of money in 66]I passed on wednesday and on sat I dragged my old man up to Wilf Greens on abbeydale rd to sign 4 a bonnie.He didn't have one in so I settled on a triumph tiger 100ss 1962 in blue £179 ginnies all the lads had bikes and we went everywhere together in 67 we all bought cars good times, Im 60 now 5 grandkids and ride round on a piaggio X 9 250cc just sold a Bergman 400cc too heavy but comfy 4 us oldies ...

all the best

Ballie

• 11 months later...

I got onto the road in 1970 - a bit later. Previous I was down the fields on a Banty, Franny & some New Hudsons - all around Rawmarsh. It is now though that I note some commonality. I.E. my 1962 Triumph Tiger 100SS, Kingfisher and Silver (though it's yet to be sprayed, it just has any old paint chucked on the barn fresh parts while reliability checks are failed and failed again:(

It is running at last, now that I've scraped the ribs out of the distributor cap. I was getting six sparks instead of two and it was just arcing all over.

Othrwise I'm on an SV 650S. I don't do meetings to much - the BMPS concours, a few rallies. Mostly off on lonesome blasts or camping/B&B with my other half. She had her own bike until health interrupted the madness (SRX 250 Sports).

We both biked while young and drifted away, and agree one of the best things we ever did was get back into it. Done Costa Rica, Nepal and Cambodia on bikes now. I just love the challenge of Asian traffic TATA seems apt when it's probably the last thing you'll ever read....

I passed my test at Hillsborough in april 1974,on a 66 bantam 175,bought for £85 from Dougie Peacock,he had a shop on I think eldon street? Then I seem to recall he moved to larger premises up towards London road area??Really nice guy and totally honest.That bantam carried me and my mate Jed around sheffield for quite a while,two up on a bantam!! It beggars belief,but we had great times on it,still have a few bikes,never been without one since really,its in the blood!!!!Regards all,Colin Eyre.

Archived