Crosspool Tavern or Sportsman in Crosspool?

Which is best for a meal?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best for a meal?

• Crosspool Tavern
    • Sportsman, Crosspool

Yes, broaden your horizons.

Of the two, the Tavern wins hands down (but get there early for what is usually an excellent carvery). There seems to be a panic at the Sportsman as soon as more than two families place a food order and it coincides with a person wishing to order a pint at the bar. A forummer commented on here that they were told to wait well over an hour for food at the weekend. The food - on the occasions I've eaten there - has been fine but you can find much, much better.

There are loads of threads on here about decent places to eat.

What about the Fulwood Inn?

I hear that has recently been taken over

Soulless place with Two For One food.

Average at best though a nice place to sit outside if the weather's fine.

Why not either head into town (Leopold Square, Winter Gardens) or head out into Derbyshire - Monsal Head Stables or even Castleton (Bull's Head)?

More locally there's Loch Fyne (old Hanrahan's). I can't comment myself as I've yet to visit but my friends rate this place highly.

Of the two, the Tavern wins hands down (but get there early for what is usually an excellent carvery). There seems to be a panic at the Sportsman as soon as more than two families place a food order and it coincides with a person wishing to order a pint at the bar. A forummer commented on here that they were told to wait well over an hour for food at the weekend. The food - on the occasions I've eaten there - has been fine but you can find much, much better.

There are loads of threads on here about decent places to eat.

Agree with Sportsman (Crosspool) comments. Went in on Sunday and waited 20mins at the bar for a drink. Sat down to a table with dirty glasses on it that your elbows and the beer mats stuck to. Filthy place!

Plough now serves good food, and Sportman lodgemoor does good real home made pub grub

Of the two, the Tavern wins hands down (but get there early for what is usually an excellent carvery). There seems to be a panic at the Sportsman as soon as more than two families place a food order and it coincides with a person wishing to order a pint at the bar. A forummer commented on here that they were told to wait well over an hour for food at the weekend.

I think that forummer might have been me, and it was actually bank holiday monday and the waiting time (for burgers - nothing complicated!) was at least 75 mins. I would avoid and go with the other suggestions on this thread!

Crosspool Tavern's full of all the students who walk up from the bottom end of Crookes, beer's not bad though, not too expensive, and the meals are decent, it's just the service that's a bit pants.

Archived