The Highway pub In pitsmoor 1970s

Nice to see a lot of old neighbours on this thread, I wonder if any of you could answer a question. Over the years I kept regularly bumping into an old mate from Pye Bank and the last time I saw him was in the Highway, not long before it closed.

The thing is I seem to think I've read or been told he has passed away but I'm not sure. His name is Ray Hammond, lived on the tower blocks.

Anybody help ?

Yes m8 Swervin is correct Ray Hammond passed away some years ago and i think the drink was the cause, we knew them well my gran lived next door to them i bought his elder brothers lambo and my mother exchanged houses with them so we ended up in the high rise

Yes m8 Swervin is correct Ray Hammond passed away some years ago and i think the drink was the cause, we knew them well my gran lived next door to them i bought his elder brothers lambo and my mother exchanged houses with them so we ended up in the high rise

Sad to hear that about Ray that's two of the old ones who went that way. I heard that Martin Manterfield went the same way. :(

Sad to hear that about Ray that's two of the old ones who went that way. I heard that Martin Manterfield went the same way. :(

Martin dont ring a bell for me but one i went to school with and dont know if you knew was Mick Williams who also passed away

Thanks for the replies about Ray, he was a good kid.

Geoff, I remember you from the old days when you lived behind the flats, your sister Cath was in my class at Pye Bank. Later when I was at Hinde House I went out with a lass named Cath Longden, for a short time, she told me she was a cousin of yours. Long time ago, hope everbody is well.

It seems I have always had a connection to Swallows, my wife was born one. Her family originated from the Wadsley area, I've done her family tree. It's a big family, I've often wondered if there is a link.:)

Anyone got a photo of the highway 70s if possible but any era would be welcome inside and out,i virtualy lived in there from 68 to 77 but never thought to take the camera in.i posted a group shot of some regulars on a trip in the photo section.

Thanks for the replies about Ray, he was a good kid.

Geoff, I remember you from the old days when you lived behind the flats, your sister Cath was in my class at Pye Bank. Later when I was at Hinde House I went out with a lass named Cath Longden, for a short time, she told me she was a cousin of yours. Long time ago, hope everbody is well.

It seems I have always had a connection to Swallows, my wife was born one. Her family originated from the Wadsley area, I've done her family tree. It's a big family, I've often wondered if there is a link.:)

It's strange but I never thought swallow was a common name but when we moved to top end of wadsley lane there was a swallow just up the road and another on opposite road and he was called Geoff also but none of them were related to me or each other

Anyone got a photo of the highway 70s if possible but any era would be welcome inside and out,i virtualy lived in there from 68 to 77 but never thought to take the camera in.i posted a group shot of some regulars on a trip in the photo section.

This is the only one i could find and was a cow to get so threw a few more in

highway-pub.jpg

s22245.jpg

u00586.jpg

u00587.jpg

u00589.jpg

I had a hod carrier with me in the mid 70s, we built the fire station on Elm lane at lane top, brilliant kid he was 43 years old then, I was 36, Anyway he used to drink in the Highway, Duggie Tansley, his wife I think was called Joan

he had two lads and he always spoke well of them, I would imagine, Duggie will be long gone now.

This is the only one i could find and was a cow to get so threw a few more in

highway-pub.jpg

s22245.jpg

u00586.jpg

u00587.jpg

u00589.jpg

Loved the one of the school. If you go on Google earth street view you can have a walk round and see how it's all changed. No chance of 20 a side footy games on the rec anymore :)

Loved the one of the school. If you go on Google earth street view you can have a walk round and see how it's all changed. No chance of 20 a side footy games on the rec anymore :)

I will have to have a run up as street view shows a set of 3 and a set if 4 houses still up above fox street gray street area but I know Google is dated because there is a ford scorpio parked at my present house and that went years ago