Stench from Shiregreen cemetery.

Cycleracer

Thats Hinde House by the way, not the cemetery.

From what I've been told (I don't live in the area anymore) Its changed from all recognition and they only really use the upper school now? When was you educated there mate?

• 4 weeks later...
From what I've been told (I don't live in the area anymore) Its changed from all recognition and they only really use the upper school now? When was you educated there mate?

The whole school was flattened and rebuilt a couple of years back. Looks really swish now, not the crumbling old asbestos pit we knew and loved. I went 95-99:D

The dead are always walking Shiregreen. You only need to look at the back of the church at around 3AM on Windmill Lane.Something not quite right in there. Watch out for the bishop and the prophet.

What bull****

Nothing wrong with the church or Windmill Lane.

Perhaps if people had frequented it more it would not have closed down and now potentially become a Mosque!!!

• 4 months later...
1970-75 I was a pupil at Hinde House school and every now and again there was a stench of "rotting flesh which would linger all day and sometimes longer.

it was told that the smell was from dead bodies in the cemetery and to be honest the smell was that bad.

Thinking about it, I personally doubt this as they would be no reason to dig up corpses from the ground and if they did it would be unlikely to smell that bad as most of them would be just skeletal remains.

Did anyone else remember this horrible smell and do you know of its source.

NOW ON ANOTHER CHEERY NOTE.:suspect:

what a funny thought - rotting flesh in shiregreen - on the other hand it may be true but it'd be the live ones ponging! No not really, I lived in Shiregreen and we were a decent enough bunch.

I reckon the pong would be the sulphur smell from the smelting works. My dad worked at Arthur Lees, later Lee Bright Steels, and he said smelting caused this pong, thought the link between smelting and smells confused me quite a bit.

I used to stand on a chair at our attic window on Leedham Road and watch the vast red/orange glow when they opened the blast furnaces. The sight was amazing, but the sound was incredible - the air was full of a rushing noise.

The stench probably came from the old refuse dump that was around that area, it was between the cemetry and the road that leads down to Wincobank from memory, they built houses on it later, but had problems as the refuse was still burning underground.

...that wasn't a refuse dump, it was a spoil tip from the steel works !

We moved from Newman Road up to Leedham Road when I was 5 and we used to short-cut across it on the way home from school, before the houses were built. There was no 'rubbish' of the household sort, but there was a solid, vast, mile-wide plateau of black shiny melted stuff and black mash, and if you fell down on it, your clothes would be literally coal black, and the shiny lumps could cut. It was horrible and mucky and nasty to walk on, and my mother slipped down a slope and broke her wrist there!

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something going on underground there; it must be very deep, and I wouldn't have bought a house on there.

Archived