Bygone Sheffield - The City On Film 1920's to 1970's

i remember watching a film set in sheffield maybe the 70's.

all i call re-call is the main lad havin a fight in what used to be the undercover side to the cinema which is now argos near the law courts.

anyone know what it was called?

i think it was a fictional account of a young man growing up in sheffield.

i remember watching a film set in sheffield maybe the 70's.

all i call re-call is the main lad havin a fight in what used to be the undercover side to the cinema which is now argos near the law courts.

anyone know what it was called?

i think it was a fictional account of a young man growing up in sheffield.

I remember that film, set in the 70's or very early 80's? I thought it was a Barry Hines (Kes, Threads) film and definately a rare movie. I remember it being very realistic as if the camera was just following the actors around in everyday life. If anyone knows it let us know, in the meantime I'll see if I can find it.

The film i think you mean is called Looks and Smiles and it was made in 1981 and the story is all about a young lad leaving school and trying to find a job. His best mate in it is Tony Pitts who played Archie in Emmerdale. It's a Ken Loach film and it is only available from Germany! The DVD box is written in German etc but it plays in English too. Try http://www.arthaus.de

The film i think you mean is called Looks and Smiles and it was made in 1981 and the story is all about a young lad leaving school and trying to find a job. His best mate in it is Tony Pitts who played Archie in Emmerdale. It's a Ken Loach film and it is only available from Germany! The DVD box is written in German etc but it plays in English too. Try http://www.arthaus.de

Brilliant. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Archived