Fewer laws, in fact only 3 laws: The solution to societies ills?

SF is full of moans about how bad society is and how it needs to crack down on wrong doers and na'er do wells.

Well I've recently been taking notice of a few opinions that too many rules actually have the opposite of the desired effect, and to be honest I can see a lot of merit in the argument.

When you can be fined for parking your car, or forced to remove your T-shirt at airport security because it has a cartoon of a robot with a gun on the front... well you get the idea.

At a basic level traffic planners all over the world are removing traffic lights, signs, road marking and rules, and the upshot is that people learn to be courteous to one another again. Interesting eh?

So, what do you think about getting rid of the law books. Perhaps we could just have the following three laws, and community judging panels to interpret how they apply when they are broken.

Law 1: Do not kill or hurt your neighbour

Law 2: Do not steal from your neighbour

Law 3: Respect your neighbour

Of course, the punishment on conviction for transgression would have to be death by 12v battery.

So, what do you think about getting rid of the law books. Perhaps we could just have the following three laws, and community judging panels to interpret how they apply when they are broken.

its a really interesting idea. However, you would be faced with problems when some one in the judgeing panel has wildly different ideas to some one else. Or if one judgeing panel treated the same offence differnently to another as there would be no law to back them up. It could even lead to law number 1 being broken :)

At a basic level traffic planners all over the world are removing traffic lights, signs, road marking and rules, and the upshot is that people learn to be courteous to one another again

This is a fantastic idea - but again would lead to problems without back up laws to help it along. ie a driver is racing to the hospital as someone broke law 1 and is carrying said neighbour in the car. He crashes and only hurts someone else. In trying to help he caused pain to someone else. And i know that in a perfect world the judgeing panel would take it in to consideration - however there would always be 1 on the panel that sticks ridgedly to the law.

As i said a great idea - but i personally think its only pipe dreams. Looking forward to everyone else's opinion.

not sure if it'd help society but there IS too many "stupid" laws, and new labour are obsessed with creating them

wonder if theres a website that actually lists them ALL so we can search through for any really idiotic ones (i remember one where every bike has to have a bell on it?)

I can't see that it would break any of those laws....
Boxing and fighting sports would have to be banned though. Fowl play in football matches would also have consequences. And the crowd would have to chant respectfully at all times- or else there would be no supporters if they were all shocked away.

Archived