Any Merchant Navy folk?

Thought NZSC had good clean ships! Did you like OZ? I went out there for a few years and then came home to get married, I really enjoyed it.

S S Pipircki was a good cargo ship but quite lousy, after M.N i joined the army Royal signals for 5 years,looking back I think things when backward I should have continued with my training &become a sparks:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I had been a naval officer for nine years before joining Mobil. During my officer time I very rarely had to use my tools. In the RN we also had electrical officers and their staff. My RN time qualified me for a 2nd engineer certificate, imagine I joined a 200,000 ton tanker, lift to the ER and bikes on deck. I was'nt expecting to be I/C of electrics as well. Once the initial surprise was over I enjoyed the job. I have to say though, others may disagree, that I found the MN engineers fine at watchkeeping but much less knowledgible about maintenance. It was a long time ago, I was pensioned off in 1979 because of severe hearing loss. I found Mobil was a great company to work for, they even pay me a non-contributary pension. The ships were manned mainly by indians with British officers , today, the officers are also Indians.

My dad was MN - on the New Zealand Shipping Company.....was on the Empire Windrush as a steward....and also on the Rangitane as a steward. I think he did his National Service 1952-54. Both of these ships went down in the Med.

He had no links with South Yorkshire.....indeed he was a Londoner - he told me tales of working with Tommy Steele. He also told me tales of some of the crew buying silk suits in Hong Kong....which they would offload to the Americans in Panama and buy Levi jeans to sell here.....I think some of them had quite a racket going on :hihi:

His name was Len Hennessey....I wonder if anyone remembers him :D

My dad was MN - on the New Zealand Shipping Company.....was on the Empire Windrush as a steward....and also on the Rangitane as a steward. I think he did his National Service 1952-54. Both of these ships went down in the Med.

He had no links with South Yorkshire.....indeed he was a Londoner - he told me tales of working with Tommy Steele. He also told me tales of some of the crew buying silk suits in Hong Kong....which they would offload to the Americans in Panama and buy Levi jeans to sell here.....I think some of them had quite a racket going on :hihi:

His name was Len Hennessey....I wonder if anyone remembers him :D

I remember the Windrush & the Rangitane but i can't remember them going down, i was on the Rangitarta (in dock) for a short while in 51 and i thought one Rangr' was on the way out while tutha was on way in,both filled with emigrant's bound for oz, but its been a long time:confused::confused:

Archived