Who scored this United goal ?

HughW

Can anyone help my failing memory ---

This happened 7-10 years ago I think...

At Bramall Lane, United are playing towards the Kop.

The ball, touching an oponent last in the United half, flies deep into the oponents' end heading for the touchline close to the corner by the Kop end of the John St Stand. One United forward runs after it hoping to stop it going out.

Unaccountably the goalie also runs out, fearing the forward will keep it in and run in on his goal.

Both are too late, the ball goes out, the forward picks up the ball. No-one has bothered to make the effort to get up to support him. The goalie stands for a moment about ten yards from him wondering what to do and then turns to run back to his goal.

Without a moment's hesitation, the forward takes the throw against the back of the keeper so that it rebounds to his feet, he takes a couple of strides upfield away from the touchline and slides the ball past the keeper into the net.

We go wild !

HughW

Yes! Dean saunders. Thanks Duffman.

Armed with his name I looked for a mention on the web, but all I can find is this Argentinian site (sorry it's in Spanish) which says the game was against Port Vale in April 1998.

It also states that the FA said the goal should not have been allowed and Saunders should have been booked for unsportmanlike conduct.

Not far off 7 years ago!

HughW

Archived