Hue Wei Chinese restaurant - Glossop Road/West Street

theripsaw

I used to sing the praises of this place, in fact i did only yesterday on another thread. I was addicted to their authentic Kung Po chicken, and feeling weak last night I ventured down for a take out fix.

Their kung po chicken used to be just perfect little cubes of chicken stir fried with red pepper, peanuts and some evil whole dried chillies with a light coating of a sesame / rice wine flavoured sauce.

Gutted. When I got it home it was a different dish. Bright red gloopy (almost definately) bottled sweet and sour type sauce, ugly slivers of

snow white chicken with a few chopped tinned water chestnuts, and a lonely piece of green pepper, bulked up with lots of onion.

I rang back to check they gave me the right dish, and they had- she read the description off the new menu.

So the name stays the same but the dish is uncomparable.

I can get this industrial chinese rubbish from the local takeaway at half the price, or if on West St Wok Mania.

Please bring back the old menu, or at least change the names so your regular customers are not caught out.

Anybody else noticed a change in standards here?

• 2 weeks later...

I also used to love it at Hui Wei and had been about four or five times as my parents loved it too and always wanted to go when they were visiting.

Last time we went was October 2007, and the standards had completely slipped. A couple of the dishes were bland, some a bit greasy and fatty, and they'd completely changed the recipe of one of our favourite dishes. It was so disappointing and such a shame.

I haven't dared go back since to see if it was a one off slip, but judging by what OP says, it wasn't just us :(

Archived