Best Cordless Screwdriver

I would agree that Bosch are the best cordless screwdrivers - I would swear by my Bosch IXO. It's available at around the £30 mark (£29.47 from "Tesco direct" for example) but can be cheaper - e.g. on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bosch-IXO-3-6V-Cordless-Screwdriver-BNIB-UK_W0QQitemZ260249585167QQihZ016QQcategoryZ122839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a cheaper one in the Bosch range (the PSR 2.4v at about £20) and the next one up is the Bosch PSR200Li (smart carrying case, magnetic bit holder etc.) which is just within your £50 figure.

tbh all battery screwdrivers are rubbish.

They are realy, all the ones I've used have either been too feeble to do the job or they have mangled the head of the screw. It's a case of making an electric tool for it's own sake I think, it's not like screwing in screws is a huge physical task that requires mechanical assistance.

In my view a driver is better for "driving" than a drill that also drills at high speed - though I suppose it depends on the power and the gearing. I have a separate drill and driver, and each is made for the job. I really don't agree that all battery drivers are rubbish - I have used mine for quite a while now and never needed anything else.

In my view a driver is better for "driving" than a drill that also drills at high speed - though I suppose it depends on the power and the gearing. I have a separate drill and driver, and each is made for the job. I really don't agree that all battery drivers are rubbish - I have used mine for quite a while now and never needed anything else.

The thing is you can use a drill/driver for screwing but you cant use a battery screwdriver for drilling.

So for that reason alone the drill/driver wins in my view. Also as Nick2 says the screwdrivers are prtty feeble. I tried a few and was sick to death of having to finnish off putting the srews in by hand as the driver was just not up to the job.

It was a good brand too.

Most good cordless screwdrivers will work well for light drilling - up to 8mm in timber. Do get one with two batteries - nothing worse than a flat battery half way through a job.

I think you will get better torque from a 12volt one than a 6volt one.

Archived