Best Cordless Screwdriver

If drill/drivers are better - which would you recommend?? Thanks

Go for the best you can afford - Black & Decker if you are on a tight budget, Bosch if you want something better, then one like a Ryobi if you can afford the best (you can get them for around £50+ and Ryobi also do a range of tools called Ryobi one+ where 1 battery fots many tools).

Next, if you can afford it, look for one that has a Li-Ion (Lithium Ion) battery - that will last as long as the drill, where as one with a Ni-Cad battery you will find starts to lose its ability to hold the charge after a while.

Then look for the voltage - absolute minimum of 14.4v really (12v only if it is for very occasional use) and ideally 18v, but again, the bigger the battery, the heavier the tool, so you have to find the middle ground on that one.

Then look at the features - for mainly driving and light drilling (wood for example) a 10mm chuck and no hammer action are fine. For bigger jobs (drilling masonary etc. ) you would need a hammer drill, and probably a 13mm chuck would be better - again the heavier the job the drill is designed for, the heavier and more expensive the drill.

On your info so far, I would go for a 14.4v cordless drill driver (no hammer action/10mm chuck).

Makita worth looking at too, got 2 and seem indestructable, used everryday.

Ryobi are fine BNQ had an offer while back of 2 batteries plus drill plus carry bag with loads of drills , socket set etc for £40.

Either 9.6 or 12 volts will be fine,the higher voltages usually are heavier

• 1 year later...

I would agree with the previous poster, Makita equipment is good, I've got a 18v LXT, the unit itself is tiny really compared to a 18v drill/driver but the amout of torque it produces is incredible, battery last ages too and its got a 20min charger.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived