Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

if the park & ride at Malin Bridge was free to park in, there wouldn't be any need for anyone to do that in the first place. But no: the council can't abide the idea of anything being free, so they have to screw money out of those who park at the park & ride, and then screw some more money out of those who don't.

Haven't we had this discussion before?

It isn't the Council's car park. It belongs to SYPTE.

Today's article in the Star about the Hillsborough again says that the main point of it is to deter people from parking all day and going off into town on the tram, i.e. using the area as a free car park. Of course there was a very simple solution to that, as discussed on here before: if the park & ride at Malin Bridge was free to park in, there wouldn't be any need for anyone to do that in the first place. But no: the council can't abide the idea of anything being free, so they have to screw money out of those who park at the park & ride, and then screw some more money out of those who don't.

The council don't own the park and ride so can't offer free parking. Stagecoach however could but would rather charge for p&r

Haven't we had this discussion before?

It isn't the Council's car park. It belongs to SYPTE.

Yes we have, and the distinction is a rather semantic one since the SYPTE is made up of representatives from the councils in South Yorkshire. It is now time for you to claim that it's not possible to have a free P&R scheme because of the way the contract is negotiated, and for me to point out that free P&R schemes exist in other places in South Yorkshire such as Doncaster. What it all boils down to is if there was a political will, the council could have influenced the way that contract was negotiated through their representatives on the SYPTE but presumably chose not to.

Last time i will be going to hillsborough now.I travel a distance to shop at hillsborough because thats where i used to live.Easier for me to go somewhere else.Im not going to help the councils budget shortfall ,its always the motorist who gets targeted.Apologies to the barber i used to go to and the cafe,its a matter of principle.

The service is the regulation of the available parking space. It was a free for all before, with no regulation, that is not a service.

Motorists cause the service to be needed and benefit from it, why should they not contribute to the cost of it? Those who don't need or want the service, don't pay. Seems fair and equitable to me.

I'm in the parking scheme area.

I cannot at the best of times park that close to my house.

I have one car on a street that most homes have at least two cars. Under the scheme i will have to pay £10 to park and those with a second car will also be allowed a ticket, for a greater fee of course.

This would be great if it was enforced and 24 hours, but it isn't. If i'm not parked by 6:30 i'm parking somewhere else.

What's the point in half measures?

Archived