Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

But if you were on Taplin Road already, you can turn right in to Hillsborough Place rather than heading back to Holme Lane, down, left etc

Edit. Unless you mean the tiny bit that has the fishmonger's on. Oh, you do. That's an even more unlikely journey then.

But how many want to cross Bradfield Road/ Holme Lane junction daily, heading towards Hillsborough Park?

I sometimes get the Tram from Malin Bridge towards town in the morning. Usually it queues all the way along Holme Lane to Hillsborough corner . Why? Because of the volume of cars joining Holme Lane from side roads, cars that mostly have to come off Middlewood Road to avoid the Tram Gate.

Having got that tram every morning for some time, I can say that's not the reason it queues down Holme Lane.

But if you were on Taplin Road already, you can turn right in to Hillsborough Place rather than heading back to Holme Lane, down, left etc

Edit. Unless you mean the tiny bit that has the fishmonger's on. Oh, you do. That's an even more unlikely journey then.

Walked down earlier to get the bus to Broomhill & realised that I'd got Hillsborough Place and Hillsborough Road mixed up. I've only been in Hillsborough 16 years!

Sorry HotPhil and Alpha24. I just hope Planner1 does not arrange a £35 for the error.:)

The journey decribed to Hillsborough Road, where the fishmonger is, may be an unlikely journey. Virtually the same route (not turning onto Hillsborough Road) would need to be taken by anyone wanting to access Middlewood Road from Langsett Road when Tram Gates are in operation.

Having got that tram every morning for some time, I can say that's not the reason it queues down Holme Lane.

Probably not the only reason. But it doesn't help matters.

Cars are nearly always coming down Hillsborough Place (sussed it now!) to join Holme Lane.

Must admit I tend to agree with BoroB here. Going along Holme Lane towards Malin Bridge in the evening, most of the congestion is caused by two things: firstly the lights at the end of Ball Road, and secondly the number of people wanting to turn right into the side roads along Holme Lane. If the tram gate wasn't there, a lot of those right turners wouldn't be on Holme Lane in the first place (because they're actually heading out towards Middlewood), and neither would most of the traffic queueing behind them as a lot of it comes down Walkley Lane from Crookes/Walkley and then has no option again but to turn left onto Holme Lane. The fact that plenty of people perform illegal right turns at the bottom of Walkley Lane should tell you that they really want to go out towards Middlewood: some turn right illegally, some go down Holme Lane and turn right, and some go all the way out to Malin Bridge, round the roundabout and back again, but they all want to go somewhere that the council won't let them.

Usually it queues all the way along Holme Lane to Hillsborough corner . Why? Because of the volume of cars joining Holme Lane from side roads, cars that mostly have to come off Middlewood Road to avoid the Tram Gate.

That is not the cause of the queues. on Holme Lane. I drive down there most mornings at various times during peak hours. It's sheer volume of traffic causing the queue. There isn't enough capacity at Hillsborough Coner to move it all. Volume of traffic joining from side roads is quite low compared to the main flow.

Must admit I tend to agree with BoroB here. Going along Holme Lane towards Malin Bridge in the evening, most of the congestion is caused by two things: firstly the lights at the end of Ball Road, and secondly the number of people wanting to turn right into the side roads along Holme Lane. If the tram gate wasn't there, a lot of those right turners wouldn't be on Holme Lane in the first place (because they're actually heading out towards Middlewood), and neither would most of the traffic queueing behind them as a lot of it comes down Walkley Lane from Crookes/Walkley and then has no option again but to turn left onto Holme Lane. The fact that plenty of people perform illegal right turns at the bottom of Walkley Lane should tell you that they really want to go out towards Middlewood: some turn right illegally, some go down Holme Lane and turn right, and some go all the way out to Malin Bridge, round the roundabout and back again, but they all want to go somewhere that the council won't let them.

Before the tram system was put in there used to be enormous queues on Langsett Rd out of city down to Hillsborough Corner. Back to wood St & beyond sometimes. There aren't now, but the traffic movements still take place, so there are delays elsewhere.

Basically, the highway network is over capacity at peak times and there will be queues. The only way to overcome that would be to build larger, high capacity roads and junctions. That would mean flattening large numbers of properties and would cost a fortune.

The Council have quite rightly proritised the high capacity public transport which serves the area, which moves lot of people.

Before the tram system was put in there used to be enormous queues on Langsett Rd out of city down to Hillsborough Corner. Back to wood St & beyond sometimes. There aren't now, but the traffic movements still take place, so there are delays elsewhere.

Basically, the highway network is over capacity at peak times and there will be queues. The only way to overcome that would be to build larger, high capacity roads and junctions. That would mean flattening large numbers of properties and would cost a fortune.

The Council have quite rightly proritised the high capacity public transport which serves the area, which moves lot of people.

There also used to be a busy row of shops, well done planners :rolleyes:

Archived