Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

The review document put forward was biased and avoided the one question that would have put this to argument to bed:

The Hillsborough Parking Scheme has been in place for 12 months now. Based on how it has operated, should the scheme be revoked? Yes/No.

Instead £45,000 has been spent pussy-footing around the question.

It's disgraceful and tantamount to deliberately ignoring the wishes of the people of Hillsborough.

And as for "Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present". Absolute bull.

It's disgraceful and tantamount to deliberately ignoring the wishes of the people of Hillsborough.

And as for "Planner1's views are his own and do not reflect those of his employers, past or present". Absolute bull.

To give planner1 some credit he does tend to walk a lonely road with regards to traffic threads.

In the past he has said he used to work for SCC but no longer does. Whether he was forced out or left of his own accord is a whole different question:)

In the past he has said he used to work for SCC but no longer does. Whether he was forced out or left of his own accord is a whole different question:)

I left SCC to further my career, as there was no opportunity for upward mobility at SCC at that time. No one forced me to leave, they wanted me to stay.

When I was at SCC six years ago, I was a transport planner with no management responsibility. Now, three moves later, I head up several teams.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 12:53 ----------

The people of Hillsborough have been consulted. If they wanted the scheme removed, they have had the opportunity to say so. Only a few of them did.

So, how is this ignoring anyone's wishes?

My views are my own, I do not come on here representing any employer, past or present.

Got to say, I'm glad at least that they're planning to restrict parking on Proctor Place. I hope it means they'll stop ANY parking in there because it's a nightmare on there sometimes. People park on there, creating a bottle neck for otheres trying to get into the coop car park or the pay and display. This then creates tail-backs onto Middlewood road, often holding the tram up.

Most of the parkers on this stretch have blue badges, and I agree they should have more leeway, but you shouldn't be able to cause obstructions.

For once I'm in agreement with an extra restriction.

But on the whole, the permit scheme was voted in by the back door (people being daft enough to think they would get their own space), and the decision to charge for what precious little off-road parking there was (ie the park's car park) was unwise to say the least, in an area with so many parking issues.

Well Planner1 you appear to be in the minority on here......oh hang on it must be me that's got my rose tinted glasses on.

One or two vociferous people on here do not constitute a groundswell of public opinion, as the consultation exercise conclusively showed.

One or two vociferous people on here do not constitute a groundswell of public opinion, as the consultation exercise conclusively showed.

Like I've said before planner1 when it's everyone's money that has been used and NOT just the people whoever CHOOSE to live on these roads then LOOK at the wider picture that's when you get a true reflection as I've said I live local shop local and bank local so I think myself and others a bit further afield should have a say so take your rose tinted glasses off and also listen to what the MAJORITY HAVE TO SAY after all its EVERYONE'S MONEY NOT JUST A SELECT FEW.

There could also be a reasonable reason why so many havn't filled in the forms ..... They have more important issues on their minds like finding a job or how they are going to put food on the table for their families . This recession has hit many people hard especially in South Yorkshire .Maybe they were thinking they might not have a car anymore as they have been made redundant .Nothing is ever black and white . The council need to obtain a better understanding of how all the residents feel . What about the elderly ,I know 3 elderly residents who still have cars that didn't realise the importance of filling in the form and sending it back .When I spoke to them they were shocked that a permit didn't mean a space outside their houses . Now this is 3 residents on just 1 road. How many more people are there in the same situation . I'm betting quite a few with only 400 replies out of 3,000.

Why? There was space on the response form for comments, so people could say what they wanted.

The report says that only a small number of people asked for the scheme to be revoked. So, it's not as unpopular as you like to make out.

Free text data fields are very difficult to analyse in comparision to tick-box responses.

One person might have put "Get rid of the scheme" when another put "I don't like the scheme". How do you quantify that?

Does the report give out every single comment?

Like I've said before planner1 when it's everyone's money that has been used and NOT just the people whoever CHOOSE to live on these roads then LOOK at the wider picture that's when you get a true reflection as I've said I live local shop local and bank local so I think myself and others a bit further afield should have a say so take your rose tinted glasses off and also listen to what the MAJORITY HAVE TO SAY after all its EVERYONE'S MONEY NOT JUST A SELECT FEW.

There's always an argument that you should consult wider, but your elected representatives set the standard for what they want to be in the consultation and how widely it's done. They type of consultation you saw in Hillsborough is what they want. Remember, consultation is to give the decision makers an indication of public opinions, so they can make an informed decision.

Permit parking schemes have been around for quite while and I would think that the decision makers know what the wider opinion of them is by now.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 17:21 ----------

There could also be a reasonable reason why so many havn't filled in the forms ..... They have more important issues on their minds like finding a job or how they are going to put food on the table for their families . This recession has hit many people hard especially in South Yorkshire .Maybe they were thinking they might not have a car anymore as they have been made redundant .Nothing is ever black and white . The council need to obtain a better understanding of how all the residents feel . What about the elderly ,I know 3 elderly residents who still have cars that didn't realise the importance of filling in the form and sending it back .When I spoke to them they were shocked that a permit didn't mean a space outside their houses . Now this is 3 residents on just 1 road. How many more people are there in the same situation . I'm betting quite a few with only 400 replies out of 3,000.

Comprehensive, wide ranging consultation costs serious money. Do you want the Council to spend it's money on that, or actually doing something? There really isn't enough for both. More money spent on consultation equals less schemes, that's the reality.

The consultation methods employed here are pretty much the same as I've seen elsewhere.

Archived