Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

SCC implemented permit zones to deal with the detrimental effects of commuter parking, because that's what people asked them to do.

I don't think I've ever seen data to suggest there is/was a commuter parking problem on the majority of roads where the zone was introduced.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I don't think I've ever seen data to suggest there is/was a commuter parking problem on the majority of roads where the zone was introduced.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I was making a general point about permit parking zones, the majority of which are round the city centre and do have commuter parking issues.

Parts of Hillsborough have commuter parking issues, particularly those near tramstops.

I was making a general point about permit parking zones, the majority of which are round the city centre and do have commuter parking issues.

Parts of Hillsborough have commuter parking issues, particularly those near tramstops.

Not that there's any evidence for that either really. And if there is such a problem, it's a direct result of SYPTE's poor implementation of the park and ride system.

That's the reason I get so annoyed with people like you,years ago when the tram was to be introduced I had numerous conversations with people like planner1 when I stated at the time a few concerns mainly about the use of the tram and one person from the council said it will be great and I replied that he didn't live on or near the route so he would park up near a tram stop and hop on the tram I then forecast to him that people who do that will cause problems with parking in the future he said I was been ridiculous but hey ho some years on whose right and now been penalised for it. Councillors and planners come and go then leave us with their legacy he's moved on and everyone else has to pay the price

39.7% of those within the scheme agree that parking has improved - fact.

Please explain why you believe the consultation responses do not reflect my view of being anti-scheme as obviously we interpret tha data differently.

39.7% agreed (25.7 disagreed, 30.7 didn't know).

Fact.

One or two vociferous people on here do not constitute a groundswell of public opinion, as the consultation exercise conclusively showed.

One or two vociferous people? There are at least twelve people expressing concern on this thread over the last couple of days and none supporting the scheme other than yourself, whom, may I say, it does not affect.

If 12 people against a scheme equates to one or two in planning parlance then its no wonder schemes get passed.

With regards to revoking the scheme, can you explain why a document sent out to gather thoughts on the scheme does not ask people whether the scheme should be revoked?

I notice that you have avoided answering the question asked of you in thread 2051:

Please explain why you believe the consultation responses do not reflect my view of being anti-scheme as obviously we interpret tha data differently.

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 08:42 ----------

39.7% agreed (25.7 disagreed, 30.7 didn't know).

Fact.

Glad you agree with me. Less than 4 in 10 thought that parking had got better. Shocking for a scheme designed to improve parking.

Also don't forget the 250 replies from properties outside of the scheme, of which 165 (66%) thought that there was still a problem.

Overwhelming support for the scheme according to some.

One or two vociferous people? There are at least twelve people expressing concern on this thread over the last couple of days and none supporting the scheme other than yourself, whom, may I say, it does not affect.

If 12 people against a scheme equates to one or two in planning parlance then its no wonder schemes get passed.

With regards to revoking the scheme, can you explain why a document sent out to gather thoughts on the scheme does not ask people whether the scheme should be revoked?

I notice that you have avoided answering the question asked of you in thread 2051:

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 08:42 ----------

Glad you agree with me. Less than 4 in 10 thought that parking had got better. Shocking for a scheme designed to improve parking.

Also don't forget the 250 replies from properties outside of the scheme, of which 165 (66%) thought that there was still a problem.

Overwhelming support for the scheme according to some.

Just under 40% agree that there is an improvement. Just over 25% do not agree (these could be people who think it has got worse and/or people who think there is no change). I think that the wording of the questions is poor, as it leaves this sort of confusion. Even so, that is still support. It is unlikely that any change would be supported by everyone. Of those who responded, the split is roughly 40% to (at most) roughly 25%. That is support.

Just for clarity, re the response of 66% of those outside the area. It was not “still” a problem. The question does not appear to relate to the situation before the introduction of the scheme. The response was that it is a problem “now”. That is all. Again, I think this is an issue with the wording of the questions.

The bigger concern, IMO, is the apathy of many of the people affected. The response to the questionnaires was poor. It must be pretty disheartening for someone trying to gauge public opinion with a view to determining policy, when a lot of the public just cannot be bothered to reply.

People who don't like something or are dissatisfied with a service are much more likely to make their views known than people who are completely happy and satisfied.

I have friends who used to live in Hillsborough, and who still visit regularly. We meet for coffee or lunch in the centre. Nowaday, they find parking for a couple of hours much easier around Taplin Rd, which is where they want to be. When it was a free for all, it was packed most days with commuters, to the extent that residents could be squeezed out. My friends don't mind the parking charges (not much anyway) and a bit further along its free for 2 hours.

They don't feel the need to comment on it though, and I suspect there are plenty like them.

Just under 40% agree that there is an improvement. Just over 25% do not agree (these could be people who think it has got worse and/or people who think there is no change). I think that the wording of the questions is poor, as it leaves this sort of confusion. Even so, that is still support. It is unlikely that any change would be supported by everyone. Of those who responded, the split is roughly 40% to (at most) roughly 25%. That is support.

Just for clarity, re the response of 66% of those outside the area. It was not “still” a problem. The question does not appear to relate to the situation before the introduction of the scheme. The response was that it is a problem “now”. That is all. Again, I think this is an issue with the wording of the questions.

The bigger concern, IMO, is the apathy of many of the people affected. The response to the questionnaires was poor. It must be pretty disheartening for someone trying to gauge public opinion with a view to determining policy, when a lot of the public just cannot be bothered to reply.

Agree that the questioning is ambiguous. I'd expect clear questions for a £45,000 survey.

Perhaps Planner1 could explain why two sets of questions were posed as the scheme affects people whether they are within or outside the scheme.

The 66% from outside the area are still within Hillsborough. The scheme under review is the Hillsborough Parking Scheme, not just those roads within Hillsborough that fall within the scheme.

People within the scheme were asked if they thought that parking within the area had improved. 71 agreed and 46 disagreed. 62 didn't know or did not answer.

People outside the scheme were NOT asked if they thought that parking within the area had improved. They were only asked about their road.

Why?

From those outside the scheme 165 thought there was a problem on there street and 81 disagreed.

Looking at the two sets of questions posed, 211 thought there was a problem with there street/the area and 152 disagreed. Didn't knows and no answers have been excluded.

That indicates a majority no support.

Agree that the questioning is ambiguous. I'd expect clear questions for a £45,000 survey.

Perhaps Planner1 could explain why two sets of questions were posed as the scheme affects people whether they are within or outside the scheme.

The 66% from outside the area are still within Hillsborough. The scheme under review is the Hillsborough Parking Scheme, not just those roads within Hillsborough that fall within the scheme.

People within the scheme were asked if they thought that parking within the area had improved. 71 agreed and 46 disagreed. 62 didn't know or did not answer.

People outside the scheme were NOT asked if they thought that parking within the area had improved. They were only asked about their road.

Why?

From those outside the scheme 165 thought there was a problem on there street and 81 disagreed.

Looking at the two sets of questions posed, 211 thought there was a problem with there street/the area and 152 disagreed. Didn't knows and no answers have been excluded.

That indicates a majority no support.

Re BIB. But as I read it, those outside the scheme were not asked to compare their situation with what is was like before the scheme. It might have been just as bad before (or even worse, but I doubt it).

Archived