Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

Before the permit scheme i couldnt park outside my own house, now i can.

Im happy to pay the price of a permit (which incluces the increased enforcement, as planner1 mentioned) for the ability to park closer to my house.

The permit scheme near me used to cover saturdays as well but doesnt anymore, so they do seem to be able to change with time.

As for the price of the second permits i think they should be more, I live in a terraced street where most houses have more than one car, why should someone with several cars be allowed to take up all the carparking spaces?

See post#2040 for link posted by Planner1

Edit. The 60% equates to 108 out of the 179 people who responded (out of the 1300 properties that were canvassed). ie 14% responded, of which 60% of the 14% thought parking was better than before.

So in fact only 8% of the residents expressed the opinion that parking was better than before?

So in fact only 8% of the residents expressed the opinion that parking was better than before?

And only 5% expressed the opinion that is was worse than before.

It seems that people, in general, arent really bothered, and of the minority who have an opinion more liked the scheme than didnt.

All you can ever do is base your results on the comments you receive as this is the only evidence provided, anything else is pure speculation.

And only 5% expressed the opinion that is was worse than before.

It seems that people, in general, arent really bothered, and of the minority who have an opinion more liked the scheme than didnt.

All you can ever do is base your results on the comments you receive as this is the only evidence provided, anything else is pure speculation.

True, but not that valid.

If I wrote to the council saying bring back gas lighting, I would guess that 100% of all correspondance on the topic would be in favour of it - would this mean that they would then implement it reflecting public opinion? I doubt - and yet this attitude is what brought about the parking schemes.

A bit like asking do you want the parking scheme extended - yes or no?

A better question would have been do you want the scheme extended, left the same or reduced or removed... then they would have had a more representative view of the opinion - but then they might have lost their cash cow... Moooooooooooooooo!

True, but not that valid !

Its as valid as your previous post isnt it?

I agree its a very small proportion of respondants but without paying people, or forcing people (as in the census), response rates are always low.

If I wrote to the council saying bring back gas lighting, I would guess that 100% of all correspondance on the topic would be in favour of it - would this mean that they would then implement it reflecting public opinion? I doubt - and yet this attitude is what brought about the parking schemes.!

True but this was a consultation, not someone randomly writing a letter, if the council consulted about gas lighting and got limited responses they would still have to apply the same principals.

If A bit like asking do you want the parking scheme extended - yes or no? A better question would have been do you want the scheme extended, left the same or reduced or removed... then they would have had a more representative view of the opinion - but then they might have lost their cash cow... Moooooooooooooooo!

All consultation ive seen has been a series of questions, not just one. And even if it was a leading question you have to accept that there is a chance that it solves a parking problem, and some people do actaully want it. In my case it solved the problem for me and all my neighbours overnight, if solves your parking problem why wouldnt you want it?

All consultation ive seen has been a series of questions, not just one. And even if it was a leading question you have to accept that there is a chance that it solves a parking problem, and some people do actaully want it. In my case it solved the problem for me and all my neighbours overnight, if solves your parking problem why wouldnt you want it?

So what level would the price of permits have to go up to before you reversed your opinion and decided that no, it isn't worth it?

So what level would the price of permits have to go up to before you reversed your opinion and decided that no, it isn't worth it?

That is a good question and the answer is i dont know, how can you put a value on being able to parking outside the front of you own house.

I know how annoyed i was getting about having to park so far away, so perhaps for a token figure id say £50, as that is roughly a £1 a week.

If on the othe hand it wasnt that much of an issue in the first place i would begrudge paying anything at all.

All consultation ive seen has been a series of questions, not just one. And even if it was a leading question you have to accept that there is a chance that it solves a parking problem, and some people do actaully want it.

I'm not against solutions; but I am very much against leading questions being used in consultations which should be fair. Otherwise you risk an outcome you don't want.

Looking at my own street, we have 6 houses on it, of which 2 have access to drives or garages. We had four responses to the 'consultation', of which three respondees pointed to parking problems and wanted a scheme extension. What I found interesting was that we've had 3 new families move onto the street since the sceme began. At the first consultation, the former residents all pretty much admitted to voting for the scheme from a position of ignorance. So, I can conclude that the new folks here took a similiar position.

The bigger picture view of our street is that whilst there are only 6 houses on it, it's opposite the park, it has a bunch of shops adjacent to it (including 2 beauty salons which seem to do a lot of business with ladies in 4x4s), and flats above the shops. The parking that was free nearby (a couple of lay-bys) isn't any longer, so we get some displacement. Permits for us would probably mean that permits would be sold to people on our road, the people in the flats, and the people in the shops. So I guess we'd get the same free for all as we have now, except that we'd be paying 40 quid for the privilege.

The council report noted that our road complained of a lot of parking issues, but that neighboring roads hadn't; so we would be left out of the scheme, and not asked again, as they didn't want to displace our parking issues elsewhere [although displacing onto us seemed to be ok]. They also noted that we've got parking problems morning, noon and night, and so the scheme wouldn't help us anyway. We're now down for "small measures" or somesuch.

Now here is where the leading questions come in. The actual car ownership on our street has gone down. If the lay-bys and hillsborough park car park had remained free, then we wouldn't have the displacement onto our road. Thus in our case, repeal of part of the scheme would have been better for us.

*shrugs*

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 12:52 ----------

I reckon that all of hillsborough's parking issues would be solved if the permits cost 5000 pounds. At the current rate of increase that will take just under five years :hihi:

That is a good question and the answer is i dont know, how can you put a value on being able to parking outside the front of you own house.

I know how annoyed i was getting about having to park so far away, so perhaps for a token figure id say £50, as that is roughly a £1 a week.

If on the othe hand it wasnt that much of an issue in the first place i would begrudge paying anything at all.

Hmmm, at £50 I think you may not have long to wait then.

Archived