Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

As you may have seen from my previous posts on this subject, I understand the need for permits in the central part of Hillsborough, that was where the initial residents' requests came from. However, as lots of people who filled in questionnaires have said, on the streets on the periphery the problems aren't due to commuters during the day, but in the evenings when everyone is home.

Other local authorities have implemented 24 hour parking schemes and in some areas that are heavily overparked, limited the number of residents' passes. Have you any idea why that couldn't have been done in Hillsborough in streets where night time parking is the main problem? It isn't an issue for me personally, our street has no parking problems except on match days, and that's an accepted part of living here.

Some other zones have longer operating hours, for example those in the Ecclesall Rd area, where evening bar and restaurant trade causes parking issues.

The number of permits was initially limited in the Sahrow Vale scheme, but it was eventually possible to satisfy most people's requests.

I think the view in Sheffeild is that the permit schemes are there to deal with issues casued by people coming in from outside the area and parking there.

The Council would tend not to propose a permit scheme in an area where the problem was primiarily the residents own vehilces. I haven't picked up any political appetite for schemes which would place strict limits on the number of permits allocated to any household and could therefore be viewed as quite draconian.

Some other zones have longer operating hours, for example those in the Ecclesall Rd area, where evening bar and restaurant trade causes parking issues.

The number of permits was initially limited in the Sahrow Vale scheme, but it was eventually possible to satisfy most people's requests.

I think the view in Sheffeild is that the permit schemes are there to deal with issues casued by people coming in from outside the area and parking there.

The Council would tend not to propose a permit scheme in an area where the problem was primiarily the residents own vehilces. I haven't picked up any political appetite for schemes which would place strict limits on the number of permits allocated to any household and could therefore be viewed as quite draconian.

Blimey, that almost sounds like common sense - not something you ever usually associate with SCC ;)

No , permit schemes are implemented purely to raise revenue for the council through permit charges with the added bonus for the council that they can deploy their army of parking snoopers to dish out tickets like confetti. The council raise revenue both ways.

No , permit schemes are implemented purely to raise revenue for the council through permit charges with the added bonus for the council that they can deploy their army of parking snoopers to dish out tickets like confetti. The council raise revenue both ways.

Purile rubbish as you well know.

They are put in because residents and businesses want them and see a benefit in them.

Purile rubbish as you well know.

They are put in because residents and businesses want them and see a benefit in them.

So if they are implemented because the residents ask for them , why the charge for a permit. ? Surely they would be issued for free with just a tiny admin cost attatched if they were purely for the benefit of residents. ?

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 21:12 ----------

Costs

City Centre

Inner Zone: 12 months - £200; £100 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Outer Zone: 12 months - £100; £50 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Other Schemes

Holme Lane, Loxley New Road and Vaughton Hill schemes - free.

All other schemes:

First permit: 12 months - £36; £18 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Additional permits: 12 months - £72 ; £36 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Why the extortionate charge for a permit ?

Are you seriously trying to tell me the council arnt using these permit schemes as a way of screwing motorists ?

When Sharrowvale was introduced - 1 permit per house - it was only after complaints that a second permit was allowed - at double the cost of the first one - £72!!

The council made a surplus of £896000 in 2011-12 from the parking schemes in the south west of the city.

They businesses have asked for the removal of restrictions around ecclesall road after 6.30 but this was rejected.

Residents have not asked for the parking period to be extended to 8.30 in this area either...

So basically everything ex-council employees suggest has been done due to demand, has only been done due to demand from the council to milk their cash cow even dryer...

Sorry Hillsborough, you are going to be bled dry, your house values will be detrimentally affected and your shops will close.

Another nail in the coffin, courtesy of Sheffield City Council.

When Sharrowvale was introduced - 1 permit per house - it was only after complaints that a second permit was allowed - at double the cost of the first one - £72!!

The council made a surplus of £896000 in 2011-12 from the parking schemes in the south west of the city.

They businesses have asked for the removal of restrictions around ecclesall road after 6.30 but this was rejected.

Residents have not asked for the parking period to be extended to 8.30 in this area either...

So basically everything ex-council employees suggest has been done due to demand, has only been done due to demand from the council to milk their cash cow even dryer...

Sorry Hillsborough, you are going to be bled dry, your house values will be detrimentally affected and your shops will close.

Both have already been happening, and disportionately so compared to other areas.

So if they are implemented because the residents ask for them , why the charge for a permit. ? Surely they would be issued for free with just a tiny admin cost attatched if they were purely for the benefit of residents. ?

---------- Post added 12-04-2013 at 21:12 ----------

Costs

City Centre

Inner Zone: 12 months - £200; £100 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Outer Zone: 12 months - £100; £50 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Other Schemes

Holme Lane, Loxley New Road and Vaughton Hill schemes - free.

All other schemes:

First permit: 12 months - £36; £18 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Additional permits: 12 months - £72 ; £36 if CO2 emissions are category A or B

Why the extortionate charge for a permit ?

Are you seriously trying to tell me the council arnt using these permit schemes as a way of screwing motorists ?

I'm told the permit parking schemes only produce a surplus when you add together the income from:

• permits
  • enforcement
  • pay and display

the permits and enforcement income do not cover the full cost.

Permit schemes only exist because people in those areas said they wanted them.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 00:11 ----------

As you well know, Sharrow Vale was initially restricted to one permit per household because no-one knew how many permits would be requested. It's mostly terraced housing with a lot of multiple occupancy.

Further permits were issued when the Council were satisfied that there was sufficient space. Nothing to do with any "complaints"

Second and subsequent permits have always been double the cost of a first permit.

Right from the start, even during the initial consultations there was demand from some residents for late evening operation. This was only requested in some small areas, so a decision was made to only operate till 6.30 across the whole area.

Demands from residents for evening operation continued and when the Lib-Dems came in, they split the scheme into several smaller ones, some of which, where there is an evening parking issue, operate til 8.30pm

Well that's not true. As I've said, there are no issues along these lines in the part of Hillsborough my dad lives in where the permits are coming in. It's far enough away from central Hillsborough that hardly anyone parks there for the tram or shopping. Although it is a terraced street there are plenty of spare parking spaces even in the evening. The only issue is on a match day. As someone else stated, that is just an accepted part of living in Hillsborough. To be honest, struggling to park right outside your house is an accepted part of living anywhere busy like Hillsborough - nothing has changed since most people moved in to their house. If it wasn't an issue when people moved there, it shouldn't be an issue now. Residents are just going to have to start paying for something they can quite easily do already. It is literally just lining the council's pockets.

---------- Post added 13-04-2013 at 01:05 ----------

Right from the start, even during the initial consultations there was demand from some residents for late evening operation. This was only requested in some small areas, so a decision was made to only operate till 6.30 across the whole area.

So some residents' views count more than others? What if all the rest said it wasn't a problem but the council decided to listen to the views of the residents who said they wanted the scheme extended? I really do think the council is completely misjudging the situation in Hillsborough.

So some residents' views count more than others? What if all the rest said it wasn't a problem but the council decided to listen to the views of the residents who said they wanted the scheme extended? I really do think the council is completely misjudging the situation in Hillsborough.

Have you not worked it out yet? The council just do what they want anyway and then justify it on the basis that one person asked for it to be done.

Archived