Tinsley in the 50's and 60's

I was bombed out of Greaseborough road December 15th 1940. The street was obliterated by the building of the M1 I believe. We then went to live on Plumpers road, where the cellar flooded as the result of another german bomb. Finally we gave up and moved to Abbeydale. But I still went to school in Tinsley till I got to Nether Edge Grammar

i used to go to the cinema at the side of the canal near to the old plumpers pub before the area was knocked down. the cinema was where the end of the bridge meets the m1 junction rounabout on the lower level

• 2 years later...

Lived in Tinsley until 1972, spent many an happy hour on the 'rec'. Remember the old Plumpers pub before it and and lot of the local houses were knocked down. My grandmother lived on Plumpers road before it was demolished, she used to tell me of the times she baby-sat Gordon Banks (the ex england goalkeeper).

Had great fun when the viaduct was built, karting and playing football in the underpass, lots to explore - like the time me, Paul Radford and Martin Jarvis got inside the lower deck and went from one end to the other. Luckily we found a torch near the entrance as it was needed.

I remember quite a few of the names mentioned in this post. Happy days!!

Does anyone remember any the shops on 'the front'? I remember Ryves chemist on the end next to Town Street, the Co-Op on the other end next to Bawtry Road plus Tinsley Post Office, Home Farm Products, Steels bakers, Mr Eales paper shop, Walters fish & chip shop, the front of the Methodist Chapel, a sweet shop, a haberdashery shop, an ironmongers and Hanbys Furniture shop.

On Sheffield Road was the Chemist (bottom of Town street), hardware shop, barbers, post office, Melias - the foodshop. Further down on canal side was a glazing merchant.

Dundas road, was a general shop - sweets & foodstuff, it closed and became a chippy.

Raby street - was a cafe towards the bottom, further up was a veg shop and at the top a hardware shop one side with a sweetshop the other.

At Highgate there was Knights' foodstore.

On St Lawrence road was a paper shop, where, if it was Sunday afternoon and closed, the newspapers were left outside the shop and you took what you required and put the money through the letterbox.

All these were long before the shopping precinct was built on Bawtry road.

I can go back a bit further I was born on the "Huts" which were on Shepcote Lane in 1936 and moved to Town St. We lived opposite Shaws Greengrocers and Benetts chip shop. I went to Tinsley School. (Mr Carlisle headteacher) I think our best place to play apart from the rec. was down the canal bank playing on the barges and walking over the locks, didnt think about the dangers because I coudn't swim. I have just made contact with my childhood friend after losing contact for almost 60 years. Anybody remember Hadfields and Darwins Galas I think all Tinsley turned out on these days. Going to Haywards Farm with a jug to fetch a pint of milk (never got home with a full pint kept stopping for a drink) I moved before the viaduct was built so all the shops were still on the front when I left, as was the Tinsley Picture House. Happy memories

HI Kay 1, my Dad was born in tinsley Huts, I wonder did you evercome across Thomas and Mary Ellen Wood or their Kids Ernest, Billy and a few others?

Cheers

John Wood

Did they move into Tinsley when the huts were demolished? I cant bring the names to mind but I did live in Tinsley until about 1957