Tinsley in the 50's and 60's

Yes Kay am sure they did, when my Dad married my Mum (Ernest and Doris) they lived at 124 Dundas Rd, where I was born and my dad was disabled had a three wheeled electric car.

I can remember a disabled man in a electric car that lived on Dundas Rd. but he was older than me (not been able to say that for a few years) so would you have been one of the younger children. I do have a younger brother Alan (Plant) does that ring any bells with you? We also had the Saxelbys who lived next door to us.

Sadly, today I have returned home from Brinsworth having attended the funeral of my cousin Dennis Milner. His brother Jim has very kindly let me have Dennis's drafted autobiography which I hope to complete - a couple of chapters missing. Whilst having a number of memories of Tinsley of my own Dennis's memories, he was born at 46 Newmarch Street in 1931, are more relevant to the thread in that a recalled a number of shops on Sheffield Road ("The Front"). Apart from the ones mentioned by others they are: F Downs& Sons-Butchers, E Steel & Sons- Bakers, S. Huddart - Hardware, H Swindells - Hairdresser, H.L.Robinson - Hairdresser. I will include just one of "mine" - Bennett's Fish and Chips Shop was mentioned - I called this " Uncle Georges" simply because Mr Bennett(?) looked like my Uncle George, Dennis and Jim's father!

There was also the Co-Op, Avrils haberdashery, round corner from Co-Op was the butchers, further down St Lawrence Road was Knowles fresh fish shop and Violets shop on other corner!

Was the Fresh Fish shop near the bottom of Town street?

We lived on Sheffield Road and had an alley to the rear, it came out opposite the Fresh Fish Shop.

I recall our cat once pinched a large fish out of the shop and struggled to drag it home down the alley, this must have been around 1960.

Bennetts fish and chip shop on the corner of Newburn Road/Town Street also sold wet fish and was nearly opposite the alley at the back of the houses on Sheffield Road, I used to go down that alley as my friend Maureen Harrison lived with her mum, dad and nan-nan in those houses and I remember a girl called Lily Howe did too, I lived on Newburn Road at the time (late 50s/early 60s).