Do evil people look evil??

Adolf Hitler didn't look particularly evil. More like a middle aged Tyrolean inn keeper with a funny little moustache

Couple of others I can think of.

John Halliday Christie the Notting Hill mass murderer. Resembled a mild mannered college professor.

Haigh the acid bath murderer could have been taken for an insurance salesman or a company director

No flat noses, low foreheads or shifty eyes amongst that lot

Ted Bundy was quite a looker. He didn't look evil to me. For that matter, neither did Jeffrey Dahmer.

My daughter has a book called "The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers" and in it, Mama Bear explains to Sister Bear that just because an apple looks all bumpy on the outside doesn't mean it is a bad apple. And some apples that look beautiful on the outside are all wormy on the inside so its always best to exercise caution when talking to strangers because you can't always tell from the outside which are the bad apples.

Wouldn't it make life so much easier if we could tell the bad apples from the good just based on what they look like?

On mugshot photos people are not going to be saying cheese when they have just been caught and are looking at a stretch.

Try this link from my local news station. Scroll down on the left side and click on one of the Mecklenburg Mug Shots links under Arresting Photos. There are certainly several people that are smiling in their mug shots. Interesting to note how all of the people arrested for "Driving While Impaired" have that glassy eyed look and rosy cheeks. Lol.

Ted Bundy was quite a looker. He didn't look evil to me. For that matter, neither did Jeffrey Dahmer.

My daughter has a book called "The Berenstain Bears Learn About Strangers" and in it, Mama Bear explains to Sister Bear that just because an apple looks all bumpy on the outside doesn't mean it is a bad apple. And some apples that look beautiful on the outside are all wormy on the inside so its always best to exercise caution when talking to strangers because you can't always tell from the outside which are the bad apples.

Wouldn't it make life so much easier if we could tell the bad apples from the good just based on what they look like?

Can't be bothered to look it up (tired) but didn't Bundy have a female fan base while on death row?...Sure I read that somewhere.

My guess is most mugshots are taken under pretty poor conditions added to the fact that no facial expression is allowed, their mostly either drunk, stoned,

or lack sleep etc.

Because of the crime we tend to look for the ugly in people. How many times have you seen it inferred by those relatively close ie neighbours etc saying..."well! he/she never did look right" in a "I told you so " sort of way, like Les Dawson's Ada. :hihi:

Can't be bothered to look it up (tired) but didn't Bundy have a female fan base while on death row?...Sure I read that somewhere.

My guess is most mugshots are taken under pretty poor conditions added to the fact that no facial expression is allowed, their mostly either drunk, stoned,

or lack sleep etc.

Because of the crime we tend to look for the ugly in people. How many times have you seen it inferred by those relatively close ie neighbours etc saying..."well! he/she never did look right" in a "I told you so " sort of way, like Les Dawson's Ada. :hihi:

This is a very peculiar and well documented phenomenon. It's not unsual for male lifers and those on death row to have females strike up and forge relationships with them which go as far as marriage proposals and even marriage in some cases, regardless of looks and/or charisma.

or lack sleep etc.

You are quite right.....he did have a following of female fans. As for mugshots... it is amazing how many actually smile. I guess many are smug because they think the police have nothing on them. It would be interesting to see photos of them in court when they are being sentenced. I doubt so many smiles would be seen then!

Archived