Longshaw Lodge research

LukeD

Hi,

I'm currently researching the history of Longshaw Lodge near Hathersage with the hope of eventually producing some kind of book.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a connection with the lodge themselves, or if their family/ancestors have had a connection with the lodge This is from the time of the Dukes of Rutland to the present day and any details at all will be extremely welcome, particularly photos. For example, did you stay there with the Holiday Fellowship?

Anything which I can use will be fully acknowledged.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm currently researching the history of Longshaw Lodge near Hathersage with the hope of eventually producing some kind of book.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a connection with the lodge themselves, or if their family/ancestors have had a connection with the lodge This is from the time of the Dukes of Rutland to the present day and any details at all will be extremely welcome, particularly photos. For example, did you stay there with the Holiday Fellowship?

Anything which I can use will be fully acknowledged.

Thanks

Are you going to write the book for self-gain or for self-interest?

Self interest, as there is nothing to gain. Having said that the costs would probably be far too high for me to get anywhere. I can't imagine it selling by the shedload...

Hi.

I would think that Derbyshire Record Office would hold any surviving estate papers for Longshaw.

I found this on http://www.a2a.org.uk/

Reference: D331/25/63

Scope and Content

Longshaw Lodge Estate, including the "Fox House", "The Peakcock", Owler Bar and "The Chequers", Froggatt Edge [Curbar].

With various plans

Tuppie

Ok thanks so far everyone, I'm making a bit of progress.

I have 2 leads which I'd like to follow up concerning the Duke of Rutland's house staff-

William Wild, born circa 1847 in Stoney Middleton, listed as a gardener and woodman in the 1901 census.

Sarah E Lowe, born circa 1867 and listed as a domestic housemaid in the 1901 census.

The 1891 census lists them as being at Longshaw, as were William Wild's family and a couple of visitors.

Also, does anyone have anything on Sir Charles and Lady Alice Clifford, or what is now Cliiford House in Whirlow??

Cheers

Hi,

It would be useful if you could locate either Grant or Brent Gladwin on the Longshawe tale.. If I remember right they lived up on the estate for a time as thier Mum Jackie had some sort of housekeeping/caretaking role up there, maybe 80's time (possibly late 70's). Think both brothers live in or around Norton area or a least they used too. Jackie passed away a couple of years ago , not sure if the lads would be able to add to your information but it could be worth a try.

Archived