Master Cutler - 1940

Hi all

:help:

If/when I retire I plan to build a (Hornby??) model of Sheffields Railway stations as they were in the 1940s. I have lots of maps and plans, but I am after the following info:

Does anyone have any photos of Sheffield's Stations in the 1940s. If anyone does know of anyone who might have such info I would be interested.

Secondly, I think the Master Cutler was running in the 1940's. I can't find much info on the locos used to pull the train. Some info suggests they were A1s or A3s but other suggests they were Thompson B1s. If anyone has any info on the locos used that would be great.

Thanks

:D

Andy

I have a few photos of Sheffield stations taken shortly after nationalisation but they mostly show locos with little else in the background. Some better photos can be found in a variety of books on Sheffield's railway past, such as Stephen Batty's book "Sheffield" in the "Railway Centres" series (ISBN 0711013667).

I don't know when the Master Cutler began to run, but in the 1950s it was generally pulled by an A3. I have a note of seeing A3s on the working in 1955-56 and I just looked in my diary for 1957. On 24 June of that year my mother, grandma and I visited London for the day and we went on the Master Cutler - it was pulled by 60102 Sir Frederick Banbury, which was a regular loco for that working. I don't ever recall seeing a B1 on the Master Cutler; I suspect that they would only use a B1 if there was no A3 available, but the B1s were capable of a good turn of speed when the need arose.

By about 1964 the G.C. main line had been largely closed and the Master Cutler went via Retford and then down the East Coast Main Line - it was diesel-hauled (usually D1500) and composed of Pullman stock.

In the waiting room between platforms 6 and 8 at Sheffield station there are some superb photos of the railway scene in Sheffield in bygone days. Most or all from one collection (I forget the name of the photographer but there is a notice with details). If this collection survives intact it might be just the source you need.

I just spoke on the phone to a retired (ex-LNER) driver who told me that the Master Cutler began to run in 1947. He confirmed that an A3 was the usual choice of loco, but that both B1s and V2s sometimes pulled the Cutler.

Hi all

:help:

If/when I retire I plan to build a (Hornby??) model of Sheffields Railway stations as they were in the 1940s. I have lots of maps and plans, but I am after the following info:

Does anyone have any photos of Sheffield's Stations in the 1940s. If anyone does know of anyone who might have such info I would be interested.

Secondly, I think the Master Cutler was running in the 1940's. I can't find much info on the locos used to pull the train. Some info suggests they were A1s or A3s but other suggests they were Thompson B1s. If anyone has any info on the locos used that would be great.

Thanks

:D

Andy

Hi have you tried the library in town i found them very helpful they will also print you copies of anything you find that you might need :)

Archived